Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

DIY Scavenger Puck under $10.00

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DIY Scavenger Puck under $10.00

Made my own Oil Scavenger Puck for under $10.00, All you need is a cheapo auto oil filter and the lid off a sugar dispenser and some JB Weld.

I picked up a cheapo auto oil filter that fits my bike and already hard the JB Weld in my shop and found the sugar dispenser lid at a dollar store for a buck. The photos below explain how it was done/

You could just use the oil filter as is but this will create a lot less mess because there is no filter media in the DIY puck and will be easy to clean out and store for next time.

How the Scavenger works
http://www.roguechopper.com/video-tcb.html

First off cut open the oil filter open (I used a dremel tool) and discard the contents.

Next take the lid off the sugar dispenser

You can see the lid fits perfectly into the open end of the filter

I used JB Weld to attach and seal the lid to the cut down empty filter and also to close up the hole in the center of the lid

The next day I cleaned off the excess JB Weld with bench grinder and gave it a few coats of Rock Guard

Old 01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,466 Likes on 5,047 Posts

I think the whole idea is to get peoples money...There is no reason for doing the scavenge thing.

If ya really feel you need to do this, why not just drain the oil, add fresh, disconnect the return line, start it up and run until the clean oil comes out,
then change the oil filter.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
I think the whole idea is to get peoples money...There is no reason for doing the scavenge thing.

If ya really feel you need to do this, why not just drain the oil, add fresh, disconnect the return line, start it up and run until the clean oil comes out,

And how much clean oil do you think you would have to run through a dirty oil filter until it runs clean ,,,I thinking quite a bit.

Next time you do an oil change on your car only put in 3 quarts of fresh oil and top it off with a quart of the dirty oil you just drained....you wouldn't do that to your car so why would you do that to your bike

Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,466 Likes on 5,047 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
And how mu.o you think you would have to run through a dirty oil filter until it runs clean ,,,I thinking quite a bit. Next time you do an oil change on your car only put in 3 quarts of fresh oil and top it off with a quart of the dirty oil you just drained....you wouldn't do that to your car so why would you do that to your bike
I was thinking of an Evo oil system which has the filter on the return circuit of the oil system. I forgot that the TC has the filter on the pressure side...

But, in my opinion, this process unnecessarily complicates the oil change process.

I have worked on all kinds of dry sump engines in 35 years as an aircraft mechanic, and I have never seen or used a scavenge process to change oil in any engine.

The standard oil change has been working fine on my bike for 125k miles, besides, I make a big enough mess as it is without pulling a scavenge line...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-04-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

i like the idea did it work?

Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ubreal
i like the idea did it work?

Haven't had a chance to try it yet...bike is in storage until April...I will report back after I give it a go

Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I took a hydraulic class and the instructor kept on say that the cleaner the oil the longer the piece of equipment would last. Now these are $500.000 machines nothing like a Harley. Also if you are like me and I do have time on my hands why not turn on the tunes and spend some time to cleaner all the dirty oil out of the bike. At least I know that my oil is cleaner then all the guys that say it is a waste of time.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

I just got around to using my DIY Scavenger puck today and it worked like a champ. I let it pump out about 30 OZ of oil before she ran clean.

Very pleased with the results and its nice knowing that I changed all the oil not just most of it.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC

I use the Scavenger system on my bike, I get one quart of dirty oil out that would be left in my bike, and that is not good? Why not just never change the oil then?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default oil

I change my oil and filter every 1000 miles i will not use the sync i do not like it. when a manufacture gives you intervals for maintenance they are made for the amount of time they think your car or bike should last which is a lot less than we think i read once where they said an auto manufacture believes your car should last you about five years this was some years ago. If I put five thousand miles on my bike this year it will cost me about 150 dollars for the oil changes I change the primary and tranny every 2000 so ill say about 200 dollars for the season. To me this is the cheapest maintenance I can buy and one of the most important. I do not need a scavenger or any of that with a 1000 mile schedule there is about 28 ounces of oil left in the sump all the time which is about 25% of the oil capacity. With this being said at 1000 miles i am not worring about it.

Quick Reply: DIY Scavenger Puck under $10.00