Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

DIY Scavenger Puck under $10.00

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you change your fluids every 1k miles? that is a HUGE waste of money unless your riding around in dust storms, dirt roads, and occasionally have your motor submerged. At that rate, I would be changing my oil every 2 weeks. The only time I changed oil even REMOTELY close to that was when I was racing my bike, And I would change it every race weekend. That was 4-6 racing classes, 2 endurance classes, and all my practice.. Oil always looked like new when draining... It was mainly for the clutch plates and to make sure I didnt break anything that needed replacement. This is on a motor that would rev to 15k rpm and put out 110 to the rear wheel.

Last edited by meepers; 04-21-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default oil

Like i said its cheap maintenance and it will never hurt anything. most guys are spending thousands in mods and why would you cry over a $30.00 oil change. in my case probably about 200 dollars for the season. yea harley tells you every three thousand miles and 5000 on the tranny and primary. You can go along with there suggestions if you like but like i mentioned in my post they have a number of years in mind for your bike and mine differs from there's.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
2005UltraNC
Road Master

TC schedule is oil at 5k intervals.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nikonf8
I change my oil and filter every 1000 miles i will not use the sync i do not like it. when a manufacture gives you intervals for maintenance they are made for the amount of time they think your car or bike should last which is a lot less than we think i read once where they said an auto manufacture believes your car should last you about five years this was some years ago. If I put five thousand miles on my bike this year it will cost me about 150 dollars for the oil changes I change the primary and tranny every 2000 so ill say about 200 dollars for the season. To me this is the cheapest maintenance I can buy and one of the most important. I do not need a scavenger or any of that with a 1000 mile schedule there is about 28 ounces of oil left in the sump all the time which is about 25% of the oil capacity. With this being said at 1000 miles i am not worring about it.
Good for you... not very green though... very wasteful... but what the hell... do as you please and f&^% everyone else.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Good for you... not very green though... very wasteful... but what the hell... do as you please and f&^% everyone else.
Ha, if being green was the benefit of changing the oil at longer drain intervals I would never change it.

I do however believe changing oil every 1000 is a bit dramatic. I did a lot of study in the arena of lubrication and what it takes to break oils down. Granted most of the problems with these engines are not due to break down but due to suspended particulate, the oil itself does not show significant break down for many thousands of miles. If space were not an issue, a dual bypass filter system or a centrifuge would allow them to run 50-75,000 miles on one change. However the current filtration system and the remote oil tank systems, will allow suspended particulate quantities to accumulate much more than I would like so I deal with the 3-5000 miles drains.

As far as the scavenger, I suppose this is a good idea, but not really much more useful than just putting a new filter on and then run for a 10 minutes and change it for a new one. If you have a good .5 micron filter system, it should do quite well in removing the dangerous particulate. I do suppose that no filter like this would certainly speed up the process.

Good idea to make your own kit and save the $40+ bucks on the store bought version.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

sometimes I think this should be called the **** forums (and not in a good way). I, and most everyone I ride with, am on the HD recommended schedule. 70K on my current bike with 5K crankcase changes and 10K on trans and primary, never had an issue related to oil. 5 years is not the projected longevity of a vehicle, but the average time a person owns a vehicle. If they only lasted 5 years, there wouldn't be any used vehicles out there.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
The only thing green about this big deal they are making about the whole green thing it is the money they are making off it

Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM
NorCal Dog
Road Master

Originally Posted by nikonf8
The only thing green about this big deal they are making about the whole green thing it is the money they are making off it
amen brother

Old 07-25-2010, 08:17 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

I tried this myself today. Cost me about $12. I had to go to Lowes to get an elbow plastic fitting that fit into the oil return hole and a clear rubber hose. I didn't do the sugar cap thing either. After cutting the oil filter in half I just took the top part, turned it upside down and forced it into the bottom half. Then I took some JB weld and used it on the seam. It's not as pretty as the OPs but it worked great! Got a little more than a half a quart of dirty oil out of the sump.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Scavenger

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I just got around to using my DIY Scavenger puck today and it worked like a champ. I let it pump out about 30 OZ of oil before she ran clean.

Very pleased with the results and its nice knowing that I changed all the oil not just most of it.
I bought the scavenger, used it on my 07 fatboy- works great and my indy asked me when he did the cam change at 3000K later why my oil was so clean....!!!

My problem now is that with the way the pipes are on my D&D fatcats, I can't pull the oil line to use my set up :-( I hate knowing that there IS about 28-30 oz of dirty oil in my oil system.

And, i would never dump a quart of dirty oil back into my car when changing its oil.

Quick Reply: DIY Scavenger Puck under $10.00