Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Preferance and HD Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:52 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Oil Preferance and HD Warranty

I've read lots of the threads on the tech forums here and haven't seen any comments regarding warranty issues if any oils other than HD is used. Would appreciate any info on experiences with warranty claims while using other oils.
Thanks...

Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Crow
I've read lots of the threads on the tech forums here and haven't seen any comments regarding warranty issues if any oils other than HD is used. Would appreciate any info on experiences with warranty claims while using other oils.
Thanks...
I have never had any warranty issues with using other oils.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Crow
Would appreciate any info on experiences with warranty claims while using other oils.
Thanks...
I had to have the lifters replaced under warranty.No questions asked regarding what brand oil I used.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,144 Likes on 3,668 Posts

Keep your receipts... use good oil, follow MFG recommendations....BTW...I grew up near Bathurst...Little Village Robertville....

Old 12-07-2009, 07:36 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

It's covered under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. Google it and read it and see that you don't have to use HD oil.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:49 AM
JasonandGussy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with the FTC and they said yall misunderstood the Act. If HD says you have to have HD products on the bike then its a company policy and if you dont use HD products then HD does not have to warranty the bike. Straight from the horse`s mouth so to speak! So there is something to be said for HD oil after all.Guess we will be running HD oil for sure.We wanna make sure our warranty is intact.If you have any questions just call the FTC.

Gussy

Old 12-07-2009, 09:13 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Did they mention that if HD oil is the only oil that can be used in the bike, they have to supply it free of charge? That is a point Harley was hoping no one would be wise to, and buy their oil out of fear. Harley is vague as far saying what other then a SG or diesel oil can be used as they want you to use their oil. So any oil with a SG api rating or newer will work fine, so don't feel bullied into buying Harley's oil. Use what you want.,,

Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonandGussy
I just got off the phone with the FTC and they said yall misunderstood the Act. If HD says you have to have HD products on the bike then its a company policy and if you dont use HD products then HD does not have to warranty the bike. Straight from the horse`s mouth so to speak! So there is something to be said for HD oil after all.Guess we will be running HD oil for sure.We wanna make sure our warranty is intact.If you have any questions just call the FTC.

Gussy
And this came from whom, at the FTC? An $8.00/hr clerk?

If a manufacturer requires that you must use their oil, they are required under the MM act to furnish it for free.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:39 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Lots of information on the internet dealing with the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1975, but the following stipulation should end the "do I Have To Use HD Oil" debate;

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions."

Quick Reply: Oil Preferance and HD Warranty