Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

rookie mistake changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
kipptj
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rookie mistake changing oil

okay, 2007 road king, instead of draining the oil. I drained the trans oil. Not knowing that, I added 3 qts to my engine to make it 7. Needless to say I over filled and now have oil coming out my air filter. I drained and refilled with just the four. Still I have oil coming out my air filter. Help?

Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,762 Likes on 2,530 Posts

The engine oil requirement is 2.5 qts doing a normal oil change. If the engine has been taken apart for repair then the oil requirement is 3 qts. The oil drain plug is on the jiffy stand side of the oil pan. The newer trans take a different qty than my 05, hope this helps out.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The tranny takes 1 quart on an 07 Dyna, not sure about a Road King but I imagine it's the same. Look in your owners manual.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 AM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The engine oil requirement is 2.5 qts doing a normal oil change. If the engine has been taken apart for repair then the oil requirement is 3 qts. The oil drain plug is on the jiffy stand side of the oil pan. The newer trans take a different qty than my 05, hope this helps out.
He is riding a Road King. Its a 4 qt system unless the engine sump is still over full. After engine is warm what does the dip stick show? You may need to drain a 1/2 qt out.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things like this make me happy I have the simplistic stylings of the sportster

Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM
SteelD
Intermediate
Default Thanks for putting the mistake out there.

KippTJ- Thanks for having the courage to put your mistake out there... I am a first time HD owner and will be changing the fluids this weekend coming up for the first time and because you posted your error, maybe I will not make the same.

I hope you get your problem solved quickly.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM
gimme
Cruiser

If I hadn't gotten a service manual, i would have made the same problem. I would have never guessed that I would drain my oil where it was on an 05 Deuce.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
kipptj
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dynarule
He is riding a Road King. Its a 4 qt system unless the engine sump is still over full. After engine is warm what does the dip stick show? You may need to drain a 1/2 qt out.
it shows full, which I don't understand. The bike isn't running right now, I assume I fouled a plug or both. I will drain some. since I put so much oil in, I didn't know if its in a different area and just needs to drain out.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM
kipptj
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SteelD
KippTJ- Thanks for having the courage to put your mistake out there... I am a first time HD owner and will be changing the fluids this weekend coming up for the first time and because you posted your error, maybe I will not make the same.

I hope you get your problem solved quickly.
I am not pretending to be a biker, just a guy who rides a bike. trying to enjoy the bike. read your manual, I didn't get one with my bike, but, will soon. its the same oil too, if you buy synthetic.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,762 Likes on 2,530 Posts

If you contact the dealer you would get questioned about not letting the dealer do the work so here's another way. What ever model you have go that particular forum or under "General Harley Davidson" and ask how much in each hole. Hole 1-the engine w/filter is 2.5 qts after re-filling the engine oil run the bike and check the oil level. Hole 2-the transmission, fluid qty particular to model. Hole 3-primary loosen the derby cover very carefully so that the heads don't strip out, (wouldn't hurt to have some spares on hand if this the first time off) again qty depends on model. Yes, you'll catch some flak from some but some will help you out. Good luck

Quick Reply: rookie mistake changing oil