Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

switching oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006 | 08:55 PM
rip
|
Advanced
Default switching oil

i know that this has probably been asked before. but im new so ill ask anyway!! is it true that if you switch from regular oil to say amsoil you have to completly flush the entire motor? or just do a basic oil change and add the synthetic?

Old 06-12-2006 | 09:24 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer
Default RE: switching oil

Just change out your oil to whatever brand of synthetic oil you wish to use no need to flush out the motor that I know of. The synthetic oil well mix right in with whatever oil you have in your bike now. As for what oil to use there are lot's of post's in the Oil Section on that subject read them over it may be wroth your while. I learnt everything I know about my bike on this forum....it's a great place to learn. Just do a search on your subject is another way to get info.

Come on experts give out the answer here before rip loses his mind. I have to say though I can't believe you would have to flush your motor of the little bit of left over regular oil to add synthetic. I dought very much if my dealer flushed my motor but I did not ask either I done my own oil change the second time and I didn't flush the motor of the Synthetic 3 to put in Mobile 1 I know that....I know they are both synthetic oils. If you flush out the motor would that not mean you have to flush out the tranny and the primary also to change to synthetic? Hoops I corrected that last line I went of on a tangent there jeez sorry about that I'm back on track now I was just a little worried I may have gave out some wrong info. Don't want that now do we Thanks for backing up my reply there KBFXDLI that made me feel better.

Old 06-13-2006 | 12:12 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Not true.......you do not need to flush the motor.

Old 06-13-2006 | 11:11 AM
rip
|
Advanced

i didnt think you would, i know with a car you dont, but wasnt sure about a motorcycle. not really sure where i read that but it kind of stuck in my mind. i was thinking of going to the amsoil! is there any mileage that you shouldnt switch? i have 11k on the bike, is it to soon or to late to switch?? thanks!!

Old 06-13-2006 | 11:15 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

they make blends of dino and syn don't they!

Old 06-13-2006 | 11:41 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

The guy that was the original owner of my '03 Ultra Classic had HD Synthethic 20W50 put in the engine, primary and transmission. I thought that was a little strange so I did some checking around. I actually called a couple Harley Service Departments to confirm what I had heard.
The service manager at 2 dealers did in fact say that HD Synthetic 20W50 could be used in the engine, transmission and primary.

I know nothing about these Harley's yet and thought it best to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-14-2006 | 12:32 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rip

i didnt think you would, i know with a car you dont, but wasnt sure about a motorcycle. not really sure where i read that but it kind of stuck in my mind. i was thinking of going to the amsoil! is there any mileage that you shouldnt switch? i have 11k on the bike, is it to soon or to late to switch?? thanks!!
You shouldn't have any problem with a switch to Amsoil right now...I wouldn't change if the bike had more than 25000 miles......just use the severe gear 75w90 in your trans and the 20w50 in the engine & primary. Amsoil is a good Group IV synthetic.

Old 06-14-2006 | 08:00 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cutacroshorty

The guy that was the original owner of my '03 Ultra Classic had HD Synthethic 20W50 put in the engine, primary and transmission. I thought that was a little strange so I did some checking around. I actually called a couple Harley Service Departments to confirm what I had heard.
The service manager at 2 dealers did in fact say that HD Synthetic 20W50 could be used in the engine, transmission and primary.

I know nothing about these Harley's yet and thought it best to be safe than sorry.
Get that crap outta your tranny and go to a gear oil. Try some Mobil 1 or redline.

Old 06-28-2006 | 09:46 PM
rip
|
Advanced

so do i just pull the drain plug for the oil tank and put the amsoil in? or do i need to drain it somewhere else also?

Old 06-28-2006 | 11:52 PM
tripl8
Road Captain

Do a 4 quart oil change and call it perfect...Mobil 1 or Redline 20/50.

Quick Reply: switching oil