Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Anyone ever heard of this ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 AM
deucegray
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also heard not needed with twin cam. I have never done that, 45,000 miles changing oil and filter evey 3,000.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Cat Mech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
I think what Cat Mech is getting at is....when you pour oil into the filter to pre-fill it, your pour that oil in on the "output" side of the filter. When you screw it on, you have some slight amount of unfiltered oil that enters the system. The thing has a check valve in it that prevents you from pouring the oil into the filter on the input side...as through all those little holes around the perimeter.

I think everybody is splitting hairs here anyway and we all have our opinions. That is what makes it interesting and fun. I have known people that would actually remove the plug in the bottom of the crankcase to drain out every possible drop of oil from the engine, until one of them cracked his cases when he screwed it back in too tight...it's a pipe plug stupid! There is also some company that makes a device to hook to your return line and run the bike until the oil comes out clean. That is getting pretty overkill. If you want to do that....just unhook your return and run it into a container. I am sure there is somebody out there that bought one of these and watched his oil until it was clean...but forgot to add oil as he watched it and fried his engine. My point is...you will never ever get every drop of dirty oil out of that engine and if it makes you feel better to pre-fill...that's fine too.

This is exactally what I was trying to say. I had som people walk up to me as soon as I was starting to type and had to end quickly. Thanks for making it more clear.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:33 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If on a TC the filter is the last thing to get oil, does that mean that all of the oil first time through the motor is unfiltered?

Old 09-03-2009, 04:53 AM
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You have it turned around. The EVO filters the oil AFTER it leaves the engine. In the case of the EVO, anything that is in the oil after it leaves the filer, or gets into the oil as it passes through the tank and engine....is not filtered until it leaves the engine. The TC filters the oil BEFORE it enters the engine. There are some places some oil goes before it gets to the filter, but generally...the oil sees the filter just after it leaves the oil pump in a TC.

The fresh-fill on an EVO does not see the filter until it passes through the complete oil circuit the first time. The fresh-fill on a TC is filtered, but a few places (as well as the oil pump) sees this oil before filtering. The EVO has a separate oil screen to keep trash out of the lifters and top end that needs to be cleaned at each oil change. Since the TC oil is filtered first, it does not have this feature.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1550vt
You have it turned around. The EVO filters the oil AFTER it leaves the engine. In the case of the EVO, anything that is in the oil after it leaves the filer, or gets into the oil as it passes through the tank and engine....is not filtered until it leaves the engine. The TC filters the oil BEFORE it enters the engine.
My bad. I was working from memory and I thought the oil circuit diagram I remember looking at was of the TC88. Guess it was the Evo.

I'm actually relieved, because I thought this was sure a bass-ackwards way of filtering oil.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
av8or
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get your questions answered here!!! Thanks, I got it straight now.