Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Diesel Oil In Crankcase ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 AM
OnTheRoadinAZ
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel Oil In Crankcase ?

..........Thanks for the input......I have used everything form HD 360 to Mobil 1 car, to Mobil 1 bike, to Valvoline Synthetic, to Castrol Syntec, to Syn3, to Rotella. Never tried the "Old School" AeroShell aircraft oil. What I have found is the HD 360 starts to break down at ~1500 miles(my Heritage starts to use it), Synthetics at ~3000 miles(on very long trips I have to start adding). I think the key is to change it frequently....Remeber the two guys a few years back that had 450,000 to 500,000 miles on their Evos(they were both riding dressers) ? They said they were fanatical about changing oil frequently. The one said if he was out on a hard ride or trip, he started draining the oil as soon as he pulled into the garge and shut down (used HD 360 20-50, the cases were split once to change out 1 case bearing). The MoCo said they wanted his bike to tear down and check out and they would give him any bike he wanted with any accessories as a swap......

Old 06-09-2006, 03:03 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of advantages to using a diesel oil. Modern car oils are formulated to with emissions in mind. The catalytic converter can be damaged by the wrong oil additives. That changes the additive package. Primarily, they decreased the amounts of anti-wear additives like Zinc. And, of course, diesel oil has more detergents in it.

With that in mind, some engine builders and camshaft manufacturers are recommending diesel oil for any angine with flat tappets. As you know, flat tappet break in is critical - especially the first 30 minutes. There's been more than one cam wiped out very quickly in the last few years. At first, it was believed to be a manufacturing problem on the cam, maybe not coated correctly. Or a problem with flat tappets, which are not all that common any more, and tough to find good ones. But when you use diesel oil for the break in, lobe wipe outs are not a problem. There was an excellent artical in Street Rodder about this not too long ago.

My hot rod V8 has roller lifters. But I put diesel oil in it anyway. I like the idea of more anti-wear additives when I'm running 6,500 rpm's. I'll probably switch to diesel oil in my bike soon for the same reason. But it's tough to find synthetic 20W-50 diesel oil.

I wonder how similar diesel oil is to motorcycle specific oil??????

Old 06-09-2006, 08:28 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

This gets beat on every now & then in here. Bottom line is this: Hard to find any 20w-50 diesel. Your HD calls for a 50 weight. It's hot summertime riding time. Using a 40 weight, even a good diesel, or even a great synthetic, ain't gonna be a good thing. It'll shear down to a 30 weight after some use. You wanna run 30 weight in your bike when it's 90+ degrees out?

HD says to use it in a pinch. That's OK to get you to where you can put the correct viscosity oil in. Otherwise, it's not the thing to do.

Old 06-09-2006, 12:34 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Well put. Now how did the rest of us miss that.

OnTheRoadinAZ
When we sold P-39s(liquid cooled engine) to the Russians in WWII they did not use glycol, they drained it out and put kerosene in the coolant system..............
Nice bit of history trivia.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
OnTheRoadinAZ
Novice

BoB....they did not regulate motorcycle oils and left the zinc compounds in, that why Mobil came up with a seperate line

On Diesel oils....Rotella has there regular multi grade in 15-40 and 10-30, single grades in 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, synthetic blend in 10-40, 10-30, 0-30, and full synthetic in 5-40.
Mobil has diesel oil in Delvac 1600 single grade in 30, 40, 50, Delvac 1300 in 10-30, 15-40, and Delvac 1 full synthetic in 5-40
I checked the Chevron site for Delo Diesel oil but the site sukt and was not user friendly.

Might try the straight 50 weight.............

Also Lucas has come out with a 20-50 full synthetic for bikes................

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

There are a lot of advantages to using a diesel oil. Modern car oils are formulated to with emissions in mind. The catalytic converter can be damaged by the wrong oil additives. That changes the additive package. Primarily, they decreased the amounts of anti-wear additives like Zinc. And, of course, diesel oil has more detergents in it.

With that in mind, some engine builders and camshaft manufacturers are recommending diesel oil for any angine with flat tappets. As you know, flat tappet break in is critical - especially the first 30 minutes. There's been more than one cam wiped out very quickly in the last few years. At first, it was believed to be a manufacturing problem on the cam, maybe not coated correctly. Or a problem with flat tappets, which are not all that common any more, and tough to find good ones. But when you use diesel oil for the break in, lobe wipe outs are not a problem. There was an excellent artical in Street Rodder about this not too long ago.

My hot rod V8 has roller lifters. But I put diesel oil in it anyway. I like the idea of more anti-wear additives when I'm running 6,500 rpm's. I'll probably switch to diesel oil in my bike soon for the same reason. But it's tough to find synthetic 20W-50 diesel oil.

I wonder how similar diesel oil is to motorcycle specific oil??????

Old 06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
OnTheRoadinAZ
Novice

I used to woory about fuel dilution in my '95 Heritage since it only held 2.5 quarts.........

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

You can do it.....but are you really saving anything changing it that much? If you use a group IV synthetic like Mobil1Vtwin or Amsoil you can easily go 5000 miles. Why bother?

Old 06-09-2006, 10:40 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

OnTheRoadinAz, if'n you love yer bike, don't run the straight 50 weight. Yeah, it'll work. Used to run it all the time 30 years ago. But then the engines didn't last that long 30 years ago. And one of the reasons was that straight stuff. It just doesn't offer the protection needed at startup. Most of the wear occurs at startup, so why would you want to reduce the ability of the oil to protect your engine during that time?

Bob, the 15w-50 car oils, such as Mobil 1, don't have reduced zinc, etc. in them. Only the lower viscosity car oils are affected by the requirement to reduce certain additives in order to protect catalytic converters.

Diesel oils are great oils. But unless you can run one that meets the viscosity requirements of your engine, then running even the best 10w-40, or 15w-40 diesel oil is foolish. If it's during cool weather, then the 10/15w-40 diesels are OK. But when summertime is here, they don't cut it, and you are causing unnecessary wear on your motor.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:42 AM
OnTheRoadinAZ
Novice

.....Great discussion string. Read most all of the oil stuff posted on this site. Found out(and was also pointed out here) that they DID NOT remove the zinc from car oils. Also looked at the additive packages in diesel oils, the few categorized aren't that great. It has been up to 115degrees already here in AZ. I really do take care of my bikes and was just looking for a good conversation.THANKS

Here's what I run in both my rides('95 Heritage and '01 ElectraGlide. Crankcase: Mobil 1 V-Twin, Tranny: Redline Heavy Shock Proof, Primary: HD Formula 1 and also the former Primary Chaincase Oil(I like the clutch feel I get). Have also run Amsoil 10-40 in the primary of my Heritage.

And as the old ESSO commercials use to say: HAPPY MOTORING !!!!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Harley Al
Road Captain

Very Smart Choices....Road

Ride Safe!