Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Harley Website says you have to still change your Synthetic oil every 5000 miles, is it so?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:51 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Harley Website says you have to still change your Synthetic oil every 5000 miles, is it so?

There is another point that I can't belive that everyone has missed about taking a long trip and still changing youre oil at the same intervals as youre normal oil changes. What is every one thinking here? what better time to get more cool new T-SHIRTS

J.B.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:49 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Harley Website says you have to still change your Synthetic oil every 5000 miles, is it so?

I'm going to put 5K on my bike travelling to Myrtle Beach in June, I'll be at about 4K at the outset. My plan is to change the fluids before I launch, and then again when I return. The 5K service will wait. I don't think there's anything that won't wait, I'll be delaying lubing the neck, checking for tension and such on the primary and a few other spots, but I think I'll be OK.
I wouldn't go 8K w/o an oil change. I would call ahead and make an appointment first.

Mac

Old 05-05-2005, 01:27 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that will be the plan

Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if your going from nj to cali, im pretty sure youll want to stop get your oil changed and rest your ***!!

Old 05-06-2005, 02:39 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

True synthetic will double your mileage between changes at the very least, listen to Skip and Ted, and Markcuda, the oil companies have programed 3000 miles in your head so long, that you don't see any number but that. 8,000 miles on true synthetic is'nt too much, IMHO. The main thing is to change the filter at 4000 add back the oil lost and continue on to 8000.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:26 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

ORIGINAL: John TN

True synthetic will double your mileage between changes at the very least, listen to Skip and Ted, and Markcuda, the oil companies have programed 3000 miles in your head so long, that you don't see any number but that. 8,000 miles on true synthetic is'nt too much, IMHO. The main thing is to change the filter at 4000 add back the oil lost and continue on to 8000.

Jesus! I have never been so confused in all my life! Usually I have a question I google it and confirm the answer from 3 different reliable sources and that is that. but the dealer with there propaganda and oil companies doing the same thing, What to do.

I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine who has been working on Harley's for 15 years at dealers yesterday. He moved to Florida a year ago. He is an older gentleman with a history with Harley's way before my time. what is great is that usually the older hard core Harley enthusiasts have a one track mind (no offense to any one) but he keeps it real. when they worked on shovel heads and Evos came out he accepted that engine with open arms and the same for the twin cam as well.

I asked him the same thing (being that he currently works for a dealer) and he said this. it is to early to give his opinion on Harley Synthetic oil because they just started accepting or putting them in the engines. He Also went onto say that changing the synthetic oil at 8, miles on a Harley is not the same as changing the Synthetic oil on a (European car for example) car. on a car the oil is primarily to lubricate the engine parts being that it is water cooled, so changing the oil at a manufacture recommended 8000-10000 miles is not UN heard of. But on a Harley which is air cooled and uses the oil not only to lubricate parts but to cool the engine as well. so changing the oil at 8000 miles is not improper but he would not do it. He said to meet in the middle, don't change it at 2500 and don't change it at 8000 either change it at 5000 miles and you will sleep better at night.

I found his advice sound and honest. 5000 is a good round number. As someone said on this board and I quote "oil is cheap a Harley is not"

I think the reason this topic is so important is because unlike most other motorcycles people who own Harley's keep them for a long time, so they take " the care" of the bike a little more seriously than some one who just bought a motorcycle and is all ready looking at next years model complaining about the depreciation on there current bike.

Just My opinion No offense intended

Old 05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense taken. I'll still change all the fluids in our bikes at 2,500, and change the oil in my old truck and my wife's Jeep at 3,000. That's just me or as Bill said, I am that ****.

The reason I said you could change the filter at 4,000 then top off is that once you pull the filter, you will lose a half a quart or so of oil. When you top off the tank with new oil, you will minimize the affects of any dilution that might have occurred.

So, it's your call. But when you are down in Texas, if you get close to Midland, stop by the house and I'll let you use my garage and tools to change your oil. I'll even grill you a burger.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good topic - let's face it, what's more important to your bike's health than its oil? The more we read and listen, the more HD may have a good point at their 5K mile interval for changing fluids. A very easy number to remember too - 5K, 10K, etc. According to my wife, I'll be keeping this bike for at least 5 more years, so, I'll be paying a lot of attention to good maintenance (meaning I'll be doing it, not an hourly mechanic who'd better crank 'em out FAST).

Old 05-06-2005, 12:51 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes it's a good topic, the HD guy was referring to the HD syn 3 which is'nt a true synthetic, so 5000 on that is probably right. I agree with the idea change it when you feel good about it, but the true synthetic's ie Amsoil etc. don't break down as soon as conventional or dino oil's do under heat, and also the engine temps are quite a bit cooler with true synthetic,

I run the super premium oil cooler on my RK, and I think all HD's should come from the factory with some type of oil cooler, but then they (stealers) can't make as much money selling from the big book, or repairing the engine's if they last longer can they.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:03 PM
recross
Tourer

AMSOIL .. GOOD FOR THEIR REPORT OF 10K... HOWEVER NOT FOR THE HD.. ALSO HD FILTER GOOD FOR 3K... IF YOU USE THESE TYPES OF OILS THE FILTERS STILL NEED TO CHANGED AT THEIR REGULAR INTERVALS... HD OIL WORKS FINE 2500-3000 MILES WITH FILTER.. SYNTHETIC GOOD FOR 3-5K WHAT ABOUT THAT FILTER????????????

Quick Reply: Harley Website says you have to still change your Synthetic oil every 5000 miles, is it so?