Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

redline oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 AM
lazyjss
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redline oil

anyone using redline,

I have spent hours it seems researching motor oil for my twin cam. pretty sure i want to run redline. my question is why are so many of you running shockproof heavy??? would thier mtl
manual transmission lubricant be a better choice?? just curious about your decision?
any comments on redline are appreciated.

thank you guys

Old 06-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: redline oil

I am running RL 20W60 in the motor, MTL in the primary, and shockproof heavy in the tranny. Clutch works good and trans shifts nice. MTL and Shockproof heavy are RL's recommendations when I emailed them last fall.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
micg1313
Intermediate

Shock proof heavy sticks to the gears and will not break down real thick. seeems backwards but this is straight from redline shock heavy in trans mtl in primary 20/50 or 60 in crank case. you will never ever have a problem.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I am using shockproof heavy in the trans and mtl in the primary and mobil1vtwin 20w50 in the engine. Excellent results with this combination. I made it a point to call the oil tech at redline and get their recommendations for a TC88 or EVO. They recommend shockproof heavy for trans & mtl for primary. I only have 1200 miles but will go to 20w50 in the engine after 3000 miles. The mtl is rated 70w80 but has a pour point equivalent to 5w30 so it won't cause clutch drag when cold. It really works well and the clutch feels good. I highly recommend Redline. My $.02.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I went to Shockproof Heavy in the trans. after reading posts in various forums. Prior to switching, I was using Royal Purple 75w90 gear oil. After switching, I can't honestly say I notice a difference between the two.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 AM
OnTheRoadinAZ
Novice

..........Shockproof Heavy..I just switched to it on both my '95 Heritage and '01 Electra Glide after years on SemiSynthetic(which i had a case of and finally ran out). In the AZ heat, I would have occasional shifting problems with the SemiSyn when it was really hot. No issue with the Redline.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:14 AM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Beacuse it is a super severe duty 'gear lube' that has the protection and sheer restance of a far heaver grade of oil yet flows as a typical 75w-90. How can you beat that!! I'm a believer of peptobismol in my tranny!
ORIGINAL: lazyjss

anyone using redline,

I have spent hours it seems researching motor oil for my twin cam. pretty sure i want to run redline. my question is why are so many of you running shockproof heavy??? would thier mtl
manual transmission lubricant be a better choice?? just curious about your decision?
any comments on redline are appreciated.

thank you guys

Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too.. Done about 1000 miles or so with the Shockproof Heavy in the tranny.
It took me a while to get used to it actually.. It shifted so quietly without the "clunk" that I had to learn to trust that it actually shifted.
Other than shifting, I'm not really sure how you could "feel" a difference in transmission performance, so I'll know when I change it again when I look at the drain plug I suppose.

Mobil 1 V-Twin in the engine. Thrilled with it. Runs quiet, smooth, cool and strong now.
Standard H-D Primary fluid (the new formula+ stuff) in the primary. Equally happy to be RID of Syn-3.
Man did I see a bunch of particles on the primary plug when I dumped the Syn-3.. And had to give the chain a good adjustment, but that's another topic.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Same combo as Babs.......

Engine: M1 V-Twin 20/50

Primary: HD Formula+

Trans: Redline Shockproof Heavy

Why this combo? Reading this forum!

Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 PM
lazyjss
Advanced

switched to redline shockproof heavy.
awesome thank you guys
syn three is junk
bought some mobile 20w50 v twin am changing tomorrow.
hey one question, slightly overfilled transmission. should i be worried??

Quick Reply: redline oil