Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Higher temp. with Amsoil!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Cognizant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher temp. with Amsoil!!

At 2000 mi. I switched from the HD oil to Amsoil V Twin and scavenged the system to be sure it was all Amsoil in the engine. Up to now the temperature stayed around 200 with the HD stuff, but noticed yesterday that it maintained 225 on a 250 mile ride. Didn't matter if I was in traffic or doing 70 on the highway she stayed right at 225.
I expected it to maybe run a little cooler with the Amsoil. What say you, Amsoil promoters?

Old 05-26-2006, 10:12 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Higher temp. with Amsoil!!

Maybe it cleaned the crap off your temp sender, so now you are getting the real temp ??

Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain

I dont think the synthetic oil is causing your bike to run hotter. I do know that synthetic oil has better lubricating qualities at high temps due to it not breaking down like the dino oil. There must be another factor or group of factors present that is responsible for the 25 degree increase in temperature. One way to eliminate the Amsoil as the problem would be to switch back to the HD stuff and do your own comparison........................BG

Old 05-26-2006, 07:44 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

I tend to agree with a sender problem. 200 degrees is too cool to begin with. 225 is marginally better. Synthetics are high detergent lubes, so it is possible that some "crap" was cleaned from the sensor. In any case, 225* is not a temp to be concerned about.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
ORIGINAL: liltrk

Maybe it cleaned the crap off your temp sender, so now you are getting the real temp ??

Old 05-26-2006, 07:51 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine runs about 200 with the AO. With HD petrolium it was around 210. Go figure.

Old 05-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Cognizant
Tourer

ORIGINAL: liltrk

My temp gauge is a basic HD oil tank unit, it didn't have any crap on it!

Old 05-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Cognizant
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

I tend to agree with a sender problem. 200 degrees is too cool to begin with. 225 is marginally better. Synthetics are high detergent lubes, so it is possible that some "crap" was cleaned from the sensor. In any case, 225* is not a temp to be concerned about.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]
[quote]

definately NO crap was cleaned from anywhere; It's a 2000 mile motor with oil changes at 500, 1000, & 2000. I'll just chalk it up to strange phenomenon.

I'm not sure that I agree that 200 degrees is too cool for engine oil, but I'll make some inquires.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:11 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I am going to say is if you use fully synthetic oil, no difference if it is Amsoil, MB 1 or any other decent synthetic oil, your temp will run cooler then Dyno oil no matter what if it is under the same canditions. No mystery, it is a fact. I have no idea why your engine is running hotter but I would check it out.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

First off, these dipstick temp gauges aren't exactly state-of-the-art. Pull yours and check it by boiling some water. When the water is at a full rolling boil, stick it into the pot and see how close it is. You can even get fancy and look up the boiling point correction for your altitude, if you're really the ****-retentive type!

Now it's physics class time! Let's say I have a chunk of metal and I heat it to 300 F. I have two 1 pint pots of oil, brand "A", and brand "B", both at 68 F. I dunk the metal into "A" for one minute, then measure the oil. It is now 168 F, a gain of 100 F. The chunk of metal is cooler, and we'll say it is now 200 F. (I just pulled that number out of my ol' HD hat, but the actual number isn't important for this discussion.) Now reheat the chunk to 300 F, and dunk it into "B" for one minute. Measuring "B" we find the oil 178 F, a gain of 110 F. The metal is even cooler than the previous test as it has transferred more heat to the oil.

In this case, which oil is better for transferring heat? Is that a "good thang"? Does that mean "B" is better than "A"? What if "A" maintains its viscosity twice as long as "B"? Which is the better oil now?

Point is, there are many other things to consider than just the oil temp. And the temps you related are low enough that there is no practical advantage to looking at the temp by itself. Look at the entire package, price included. Try another oil next change and see what happens. Run a couple different oils for 2500 miles under similar conditions, have them analyzed, and make your choice from the results.

Or pick any one of the name-brand oils, solely on price. It'll work fine.

Old 05-27-2006, 10:14 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel like the Amsoil is not doing it's job.....by all means, change it back to the syn3. Following the laws of supply and demand, your bike will help lower overall costs for the rest of us.....

nogood o~`o

Quick Reply: Higher temp. with Amsoil!!