Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Castrol Syntec

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castrol Syntec

Having read all the opinions on the various brands; I have been looking for oil locally and it seems that the only Syn I can find consistantly in stock is the Castrol in 20w50 (had planned on Mobil1). I just wondered if anyone here has used it or knows how it rates compared to the others??
There is no end to the choices in 10w40 or 5w30, but anything ending in "50" is slim pickings out here in the sticks.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Default RE: Castrol Syntec

I have heard of people putting car oil in bikes with no problem.

Me i will stick with v-twin oil.Dont know if there is much of a difference?

I think the main difference is bike oil is non detergent oil.

Try buying online somewhere or you local bike shop.

David

Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Triple Z
Cruiser

There is some evidence that SE SYN3 is made by Castrol, and is similar in formulation to Syntec.
Syntec is *not* a true synthetic, but rather, it is a hydro-cracked mineral oil (not ester-based).
Some years ago, Castrol had to modify it's advertising as they were calling it a "full synthetic", which it is not.

I don't buy into the MOCO's hype about SE SYN3. I don't think it's worth the money, especially if it's not 100% synthetic.
I've been using Amsoil, Torco and Redline in various motors. You get what you pay for with those oils.

(BTW....M/C oils are most definitely "detergent" oils. Detergents keep the debris from wear and combustion in suspension, so it can be caught by the filter.)

Old 04-28-2005, 12:00 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this thread out...Pococj had analysis done on various oils...
http://www.vtwintalk.com/m_33473/mpage_1/key_oil/tm.htm

Mac

Old 04-28-2005, 12:07 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Castrol Syntec is a good oil. As pointed out, it is a "super-refined" (my term) dino oil, not an oil "built" molecule by molecule. It is now considered a true synthetic as a result of a lawsuit or trade agreement or some other kinda legal mumbo-jumbo.

You can run the Mobil 1 car oil 15w-50. Its not a whole lot different than the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. I sent fresh sample of each for analysis, along with some HD Syn 3 20w-50. You can see some of the results in the General Tech section, or send me an e-mail and I'll reply with the full test results.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
LAF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I use is Castrol Synth, Cheap, available, and with the regularity we all change oil I think it makes little difference, even Dino VS Synth. If you are changing oil every 2-3000 miles it is of little worry.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser

Thanks all for the input. As noted on the touring board, I am going with the Castrol Syn because it is always available.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:30 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so what are you sayin, ya gotta change oil in these things?

Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 PM
NC Brew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil is always available from me. I can have a case of it to your door in a few days (you won't even have to go to Wal-mart). It's the best oil you can put in your bike.
Castrol won a law suit because the lawyers argued that the word "Synthetic" was allmost anything. It is a hydrocracked petrolium oil and not a true PAO synthetic oil.

By the way Harley "Genuine" oil is made by Sonoco. They probably make SYN3 also. (Not a very good synthetic) as compared to Amsoil. "The first in synthetic oil" since 1972. If you have any questions about oil I can answer them. Nobody at Wal-mart can.
I am also giving free shipping to first time buyers. Go to Form Mail and fill out the form. It only comes to me and I won't give your info to anyone.
Thanks
NC Brew

Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 AM
jcc/tx
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: NC Brew

Amsoil is always available from me. I can have a case of it to your door in a few days (you won't even have to go to Wal-mart). It's the best oil you can put in your bike.
Castrol won a law suit because the lawyers argued that the word "Synthetic" was allmost anything. It is a hydrocracked petrolium oil and not a true PAO synthetic oil.

By the way Harley "Genuine" oil is made by Sonoco. They probably make SYN3 also. (Not a very good synthetic) as compared to Amsoil. "The first in synthetic oil" since 1972. If you have any questions about oil I can answer them. Nobody at Wal-mart can.
I am also giving free shipping to first time buyers. Go to Form Mail and fill out the form. It only comes to me and I won't give your info to anyone.
Thanks
NC Brew

I'm reasonably sure amsoil is very good, but I don't care to inventory it, nor will I pay the prices I've heard quoted for it. Was reticent to pay the $4 for a quart for the Castrol but decided to try it for at least this time. May well return to the plain old petro stuff next time.
In any event, good luck with your business.

JCC

Quick Reply: Castrol Syntec