Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Drain plug O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Two_Into1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain plug O-rings

Hi,what's with the rubber drain plug o-rings,does everyone else have the same problems with them splitting at every oil change?Is there a better one available that stands up to at least one oil change without breaking?

Old 05-23-2006, 10:36 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drain plug O-rings

The part number for the O ring is 11105, order one to go with every oil filter. The same O ring for the transmission drain plug.

The transmission dip stick O ring is part number 11132

The Primary drain plug O ring is part number 11324

Old 05-23-2006, 10:54 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I've reused mine 2 times with no problem. Plus I ordered a bag of 20 of them when I bought fliters and primary gasket kits from Zanotti's. That way I won't find myself driving 20 miles to but one o-ring. I think they were $.17 each.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 PM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe your tighting them down too tight . I get about two to three changes before they start to look worn, then I change them. But they are cheap enough to change out everytime. I don`t know if that helped any ?

Old 05-24-2006, 03:20 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

are you seating them dry?
The o ring should have a little oil on it like the filter gasket.
make sure you torque the plugs so they are not too tight.

I've used mine twice on the oil bag drain...I guess taht makes three actually...factory in, and I've changed oil twice.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Two_Into1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions,this was my first oil change and yes I did seat the o-ring dry,but the one that was on there was split too from the dealers oil change. I'll put some oil on the ring next time and see if that helps.

Old 06-03-2006, 09:15 AM
crash1292
Banned

lets see...15 oil changes so far and still the same rings

Old 06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Square Dude
Banned

I'm sort of glad to hear someone else is having problems with the o-ring splitting. I can use a new o-ring every time and as I lube it and screw it in the o-ring bulges out and gets damaged. It's frustrating. The plug will not be tight if the o-ring is pinched. I have used a slightly smaller auto air conditioning o-ring but can't tell you the part number or size. You might take a new ring to an auto parts counter and see if you can match up with a better one. I believe they didn't machine the hole in the pan just right (Why, oh why am I not suprised?) One of these times I am going to use a counter sink bit or a large drill bit to relieve the sharp edge of the hole in the pan. I've had some luck wrapping a bit of teflon tape tightly around the o-ring. Believe me, I cuss H-D everytime I change oil!

Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 27,000 change every 3,000 that's 9 services and still the original rings. What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Square Dude
Banned

Hello Sleepneagle - Mine has 36k miles and its been a problem every 3k miles along with trying to get that oil filter off. Finally I discovered K&N filters with the 17mm nut made into the top of the can. I just reuse the old ring damaged or not with teflon tape tightly wrapped around it. I thought I had the only bike with this problem until now. Maybe someone forgot to do some final machining step on the plug or the hole it goes into. Next time its out I will try to fix it. I think if I relieve the edge of the hole in the pan it might allow the ring to go inside instead of bulging out. A copper washer would work instead of teflon tape and the ring I think.

Quick Reply: Drain plug O-rings