Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Drain plug O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:44 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Drain plug O-rings

ORIGINAL: Two_Into1

Hi,what's with the rubber drain plug o-rings,does everyone else have the same problems with them splitting at every oil change?Is there a better one available that stands up to at least one oil change without breaking?
Harley uses neoprene or butal. Viton is a more resistant to tearing.

But good grief get a bag and replace them every time. In bulk they are only about 10¢ to 15¢.

Old 07-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Square Dude
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drain plug O-rings

If you are having the same problem with the O-ring tearing as I am then nobody else's O-ring will fix the problem. It's not a matter of the O-ring wearing out or being installed wrong. Perhaps others just don't understand that there isn't sufficient room for the O-ring when installing the drain plug. I could run through that bag of 100 O-rings in an afternoon. It's a defect in the way the plug or the drain hole was made. Oil on the ring won't help (tried that). Wrapping it tightly with teflon works with an already damaged O-ring. That just means there is something wrong with the drain hole or the plug. I've tried everything including waving a dead chicken over it! Next time mine's out I will try to ease the edge of the drain hole with a countersink bit. Just enough to prevent the O-ring from bulging out. It bulges out because there isn't sufficient room for it to live in the drain hole when the plug is tightened. If it gets under the head of the drain plug it won't allow the plug to be tightened sufficiently.

This is just a typical H-D type of problem. Annoying!