Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Prolong in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Prolong in engine oil

Do any of you guys use Prolong in your engine oil? After rebuilding the engine in my 84 iron head Sportster after the crank pin flaked off, I started adding Prolong to the engine oil. As any of you who have old iron heads know, they can be pretty noisy, what with solid lifters and all those cam gears whiring around. The first thing I noticed after adding Prolong was a really quieter engine. I ran it for 20,000 miles after that with Prolong added at every oil change, and the engine just got better and better until I sold it a few weeks ago. I was using Harley 20-50 dino oil also.

I just changed the oil in my 99 Softail Custom to Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50, and also added Prolong to it. I could tell a difference right away in the way it runs, smoother with more power, and quieter. Don't know if it is the Prolong or the Mobil 1, but it does run great. Only added about 5 oz. of Prolong. I also use it in my two Dodge vans, and my lawn tractor.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pay for good oil designed by people far more quallified than I so I'm not messing with their formula by adding something that may or may not react adversely with the chemicals in my oil.

My question would be, ' If its so good why don't one of the big oil companies use it in their oils as part of the package ?'

They could easily analyse prolong and add the same chemicals to their oil package.

I would also be interested to know exactly what is in prolong and I guess before I used it I could ge it analysed by a lab like Blackstones.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Good questions WILDBILL. I have no idea why except for cost. It is about $2.00 and ounce. All I can tell you is that it works for me. One thing I forgot to mention is that every engine that I have run it in runs much cooler. On my Sportster, on a hot day, after shutting it off, it would sit there and tic from the heat as it cooled off. Never did that after adding prolong. My lawn tractor used to labor pretty hard in tall grass, and now the governor doesn't even open. Been running it for at least fifteen years with no adverse effects. You can see why I run it. I can also understand why you do not. Just curious to see if anyone else was using it.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Good questions WILDBILL. I have no idea why except for cost. It is about $2.00 and ounce. All I can tell you is that it works for me. One thing I forgot to mention is that every engine that I have run it in runs much cooler. On my Sportster, on a hot day, after shutting it off, it would sit there and tic from the heat as it cooled off. Never did that after adding prolong. My lawn tractor used to labor pretty hard in tall grass, and now the governor doesn't even open. Been running it for at least fifteen years with no adverse effects. You can see why I run it. I can also understand why you do not. Just curious to see if anyone else was using it.
The amount I pay for RedLine (about £15 a quart, or $24) I dont think another couple of dollars would make much difference.

I guess some of the manufacturers may well have the same components in their oil already and I wouldnt know untill I knew what 'Prolong' had in it.

Glad it works for you though and I might well try it myself if I was on dino.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:38 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I went to the prolong msds site and it doesn't appear to be much of anything usefull in Prolong . see for yourself.http://www.prolong.com/downloads/msd...-0630-afmt.pdf

Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill2566
The amount I pay for RedLine (about £15 a quart, or $24) I dont think another couple of dollars would make much difference.
Might be a little 'off topic', but you are paying $24 a quart for Redline!?!?!

That's about the highest price I've ever heard....

Few months ago one of the 'Amazon Stores' was closing out their stock I guess, and they were selling the RedLine 20W60HD for $90 a case, including delivery to your door. I believe they were selling other weighs for even less.

I stocked up on a few cases before they ran out as that came out to only around $7.50 a quart delivered. Most other places are selling it for around $11 a quart..

Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Might be a little 'off topic', but you are paying $24 a quart for Redline!?!?!

That's about the highest price I've ever heard....

Few months ago one of the 'Amazon Stores' was closing out their stock I guess, and they were selling the RedLine 20W60HD for $90 a case, including delivery to your door. I believe they were selling other weighs for even less.

I stocked up on a few cases before they ran out as that came out to only around $7.50 a quart delivered. Most other places are selling it for around $11 a quart..

Yep but I'm in the UK and we get stiffed here a lot............................

Below is a link to what Amsoil have to say about addetives.

http://www.technilube.com/faqs_info/additives.php

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, now you have to go to the Prolong web site. Al Unser Sr., and Smokey Yunick use it and endorse it. It does not surprise me that Amsoil does not. There is no chlorine in Prolong as Amsoil claims, nor have they ever been sued. They have been investigated, and found to be compeletly on the up and up as far as their claims go. I am just surprised that no one uses it in their Harleys besides me and a few others that I know. It does make a real difference. Just my 2 cents. Jim

Old 07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,765 Likes on 4,738 Posts

Smokey Yunick and Al Unser endorse it-ya think they do that for free?

I don`t get all worked up about oil, I have been using 20w50 auto oil in my EVO for 120,000 miles...Don`t know how I got along without putting snake oil in the tank...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
roadWorrier
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I relate

You know, I have not used Prolong, so I can't say anything about it.

What I can tell you is I use Tufoil. It is kinda in the same vein as Prolong. Sure, not the same, but you get the idea. Anyhow, I added it to dino oil in a 2004 Police FLHRI, and I'll be a sun-gun, it did quiet a bit, and it reved up about 100 rpm more, and ran smoother. I wasn't convinced. I added it to the 1997 4Runner. Similar results, but this one got smoother in a more noticable way. What the hell, I was on a roll, I added it to the old Honda mower. The difference was less pronounced there; but still there was a difference.

Oh, and I bought it because my brother had put it in his car, and someone ran it a couple miles with little to no oil. It came through just fine.

Either way you go, good luck/ roadWorrier (aka quEasyRider)

Quick Reply: Prolong in engine oil