Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

anyone used or have comments on Lucas oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:29 PM
bonnie john
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone used or have comments on Lucas oil ?

you may be thinking of the test on the 'bob is the oil guy' site. think it is on the home page under additive test
mucho recommendo
ORIGINAL: fl_799

There's a good test on the Lucas additive floating somewhere online. The test shows severe foaming when added to oil. Turns the oil white, with lots of air injection. If I can find it, I'll post.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer

Oh well, all I know my bike is running good on Lucas, seems a wee bit cooler btu that could be me. Shifting is still easier than with Syn3.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 AM
bonnie john
Advanced

not for me but
i guess whatever floats ya boat
i've spent way too much on things i don't need...

Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i never used their motorcycle oil before,but i did use their oil add. 1 qt with luberplate 20w-50 oil.changed it every 1500 miles.put 10,500 miles on my heritage before i traded in never had a problem.with the SG i thinking of going to syn3 for motor only,.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
bear95252
Cruiser

I to am an AMSOIL user to the core.. Check out the 28 page White Paper on MC oils on the AMSOIL website. www.amsoil.com. There where 16 synthetic oils tested and Lucas came in 12 out of 16. Not very good.. Yeah I know what you are going to say, "that is an AMSOIL study.yada yada." True, the study was commisioned by AMSOIL but was conducted by and independant lab using ASTM testing standards. ( ASTM is to lubes what SAE is to hardware.) and that is good enough for me.

As for additives. Most of them are crap.. If you think about it every oil regardless of who makes it is a someones scientific formula. How can you take an additive and dump it in someones formula and know what will happen? Could make it better or worse or compromise it all together. Dangerous at best..

If you are using AMSOIL. There tech support will tell you NO ADDITIVES..Period end of story.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:25 PM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer

Follow back and you can see I was about to get Amsoil instead, but decided ot give Lucas a try as many on here are unfamiliar with it and i wanted to see how it performed, plus it was easier since my mechanic stocks it. Now I see an area place is stocking Royal Purple, might have to give that a shot soemtime as well.
Anyway, Bear that is a great 28 page report on oils! I am not a wrench or techie by any means, but if you read into the conslusion they state that obviously some tests results are more important than others (take the test on price for example), ones with importance are the gear, general wear, and such, what I take to mind when I actually think about oil. Go back and relook over the results and you will see in these areas, Lucas performed at a score of 1 (what Amosil rated), being the highest rating, and followed very close in specific areas, so that seems good to me! I was shocked when I saw that it also rated highest (along with many others) in the foaming test, as I had read soemwhere (Boboil maybe?) that is had lots of foaming. Eitherway, overall it came in poorly, but in the most important ranges, it scored great! So, obviosuly variosu testers might come with different results. Bottom line is, so far the Lucas is running great for me and my temp is still lower. Biggest improvement is shifting, what I was looking for.
I know I'll end up with Amsoil sooner or later, but wanna try a few out beforehand so when i use the Ams, it will hopefully be well welcomed.