Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

72 XLCH oil and primary fluid change help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:05 PM
grdiperna
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 XLCH oil and primary fluid change help.

Question 1. I need to drain the chrome oil tank but the drian plug
is purly cosmetic. There are three oil lines on the bottom of the tank. One on the back bottom and two in the front bottom. Which one do pull to drain the oil tank?

Question 2. how do I drain the primary? There appears to be a front and rear drian on the bottom of the motor. Which one drains the primary and what is the other one for? How much fluid should I put back in?

I have flushed the tank, changed the plugs, replaced the battery, and taken off and cleaned the carb.

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:45 AM
aussiemick
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi mate not sure if yours is the same as my 83 xlh one of the hoses goes to the swingarm and has a bung in it thats the one that drains the tank..good luck.With my primary there is a screw at the front you loosen that and when the oil comes out thats enough..i'm not kidding..i'm not sure about the 2 plugs on the motor.good luck..have fun..Mick.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
RockyNC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will look at mine tonight and let you know about the oil bag. The bottom of the primary cover has a drain plug that is used for draining the trans and primary oil. the other one further back is the trans oil drain. Same oil, it flows between the trans and the primary. When you fill it take out the large plug up top of the primary and remove the small screw in the primary that is below the level of the brake lever. Fill with oil until it drains out the little hole. That is the procedure in the manual.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

if you gotta pull the oil line to drain i would think you should pull the lowest one.i am not sure about your exact setup....i am assuming one is lower....that way you will get all the old stuff out.
i am not sure specifically about 72s.so i dont know about every single bolt but you do need to make sure that you do NOT attempt to drain the oil from underneath.on my 81 you can drain the primary because there is about a 3/4 inch block made into the case but even then when i got mine it was stripped because it is so easy to strip aluminum.i do not know if the 72 has that block or if its just the case.be careful if its a block but do not remove it if its just the case.DO NOT attempt to drain the engine oil underneath at all.as i understand it there is a bolt that looks like a drain plug but was really there for some factory reason and not for draining.there are some very knowledgeable people in the ironhead forum that can tell you more......but for sure they will tell you not to touch it.the metal is so thin you will strip it out....and there is very little oil there to drain anyway.--------hope this makes some sense...just trying to save you from a headache/heartache.....good luck.