Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Brad Penn V-twin oils

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
I put 1000 miles on the Brad Penn this weekend. Of course, without a UOA I don't know how it's actually doing chemically, but from a performance standpoint it's working perfectly. After 1000 miles in 90-100 degree heat it's still clear green and my bike didn't use a drop.

Also, there isn't a hint of foam. I can jump off the bike after a 100 mile leg, pull the stick, and there won't be any bubbles or foam. The only reason I mention that is because right after I put it in and took it for a short test run it was really foamy. It's never foamed like that again so I don't know what happened. Maybe it was full of air from just being poured into the oil pan or something? Anyway, it was an anomaly, whatever it was.
Probably air from the oil filter as it filled the first time...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 PM
18BKLR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up in Western PA. About all the small tracks in the whole area run this stuff in their race cars. Great oil, hell some of it comes out of the wells that my dad owns up on his hill. I just wish I could get it as cheap as I used to. No one out here carries so I have to order it by the case. Does a great job in the engine and primary..

Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

just wanted to check in with you "Brad Penn" guys on long term effects (or lack thereof) on using this oil.......

the FXR is coming up on this oil change and our local NAPA has the Brad Penn "racing" semi-synth 20W50 for $4.61 a quart......

being a PA resident I'm a HUGE fan of using "local" products (I also collect Zippo lighters and currently have over 500 of them)

TIA scott

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 AM
kf_chris
Intermediate

I Proudly use brad Penn in the jeep striker. I'll strongly consider it for the RK now. Good thread guys.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1990FXR
just wanted to check in with you "Brad Penn" guys on long term effects (or lack thereof) on using this oil.......

the FXR is coming up on this oil change and our local NAPA has the Brad Penn "racing" semi-synth 20W50 for $4.61 a quart......

being a PA resident I'm a HUGE fan of using "local" products (I also collect Zippo lighters and currently have over 500 of them)

TIA scott
I'm still using it. I'm about to order another case. Actually, I'm getting two--a case of SAE 50 and a case of 20W50. I like to run 50 weight from late spring to early fall here in AZ.

I just changed my oil this past week. The used Brad Penn had about 3500 miles on it and while it, of course, didn't look like brand new fresh oil out of the bottle the trademark green color was easily visible it was and relatively clear with no burnt smell. The oil plug magnet didn't have a speck of metal on it.

I'm still a satisfied user after almost a year and will continue to use it for as long as I can get it cheaply. Last summer I could buy it for $5/qt from Amazon with free shipping. Now it's $7/qt shipped from Amazon. I can still buy it from other places on the net for around $5.75/qt shipped by the case. If the price continues to rise then I will rethink using it, but while it's still cheaper than HD's dino oil I'll use it.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Here's a uoa of Brad Penn 20/50 oil. The guy went the full 5,000 miles on it, and it still had lots of life left in it. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...75#Post2013675

Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

A while back a member here sent me a UOA from his bike after 5000. Oil held up great. Still had a lot of life left in it. What I did since I don't have a dealer anywhere near is made a call to Brad Penn to see who the supplier in the mid west was. Turns out he is a guy in Colorado. I call him up and BS for a while and get 2 cases sent to me for cost. That seems to be the best way I can get it. I know there is a guy on Ebay that carries it as well. As far as the blends, I stuck with the full dino blend and run it in the motor and primary. Change them both at around 4000. I might try the syn/dino here in the future after a little more research. I am starting to lean towards a blend of syn. I will never ever go full syn but a blend might do me. It is a great oil there is no doubt about it.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

They must only make limited amounts of their oil, as it's not the easiest to get a hold of. I'd like to use it but,buying it and paying extra for shipping is a deal killer for me.,,

Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
They must only make limited amounts of their oil, as it's not the easiest to get a hold of. I'd like to use it but,buying it and paying extra for shipping is a deal killer for me.,,
Me too. I was gonna use it but with shipping it was like $6/qt if you buy a case, where I can get VR1, which is a comparable product, at any auto parts store for $4, and $2.79 when it's on sale.
I don't mind spending good money for a good product, but there comes a point where you're just throwing money down a dark, empty well.