Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Redline Synthetic 20W60 Motorcycle Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 09:56 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Redline Synthetic 20W60 Motorcycle Oil

Anyone ever try this stuff, and if so what was your overall opinion....

I've often thought about giving it a try, as 100 degree temperature are not uncommon around my area during the summer, and that 60 weight on the top end sounds good. Before anyone says that 60 weight is 'too thick or not needed', Harley themselves still recommends a 60 weight oil (even for the TC's) when ambient temperatures are around 80F or above for extended periods.

But every year I talk myself out of trying it as it isn't available locally, and I can't see paying around $12 a quart plus shipping.

I did find a vendor that sells it by the case (12 quarts) for $94.88 with FREE shipping, which comes out to about $7.90 a quart delivered to my door..

Here is a little blurb from the Redline Webpage;

"High Peformance Motorcycle Oils

As part of Red Line’s all-new Powersports line, these High Peformance Motorcycle Oils are fully-synthetic formulas specifically created for the high demands of the latest high-revving four-strokes motocross bikes and ATVs, Sportbikes, and V-Twins. Available in popular viscosities of 10W40, 20W50, and 20W60, these ester-based products contain the anti-wear chemistry demanded by mechanics and enthusiasts.

The levels of zinc and phosphorus blended into these lubricants are among the highest in the industry and combine well with Red Line’s chemistry, designed to seal piston rings for more power, fight fuel dilution, extend drain interval and provide stronger film strength over a range of temperature. This oil also features lower levels of friction modifiers for superior wet clutch operation. Excellent thermal stability, oxidation resistance, cleanliness, and ability to lubricate hot metal make Red Line High Performance Motor Oil a superior lubricant. Recommended for JASO MB, API SJ, SG, & SH."

Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

A couple of things keep me from trying a 60 wt oil 1] if the temp goes down and the bike is idle for a couple of days, it might not start. 2] Thats a thick oil and might kill your mileage with extra drag from thick oil. If and when the top end noise gets to me, I may give it a try after hearing what others say about it.,,

Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had Redline 20-60 in '06 RG this summer. Went from CA to AL and then CA to SD. No problems that am aware of.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Well I went ahead and ordered a case of it (12 quarts), as the price seemed too good to ignore, especially for a high quality ester based synthetic 20W60 oil....

I checked a couple other places on-line, and it seemed like they wanted around $143 for a case of 12 quarts, plus right at $20 for shipping...

Eight something a quart delivered is easier for me to swallow that the twelve dollars plus shipping that everyone else is asking...

I don't want to post the information on-line, but if anyone else is interested in the place where you can get it for $94.88 shipped (for 12 quarts) send me a PM and I'll give you more information..

Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

I used it for a couple of years and like it. I switched to Mobile One 15/50 since I don't spend summers in Florida anymore and think the price is hard to justify for spendy oils in this atmosphere.

I have started the bike with it in cooler weather (forties) with no problems.

EZ

Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EZ2Rider
I used it for a couple of years and like it. I switched to Mobile One 15/50 since I don't spend summers in Florida anymore and think the price is hard to justify for spendy oils in this atmosphere.

I have started the bike with it in cooler weather (forties) with no problems.

EZ
Myself and most guys I ride with run Mobil 1 15W50 in our Harleys, and that includes during pretty extreme summer temperatures we have here in the lower midwest... 90 degree temperatures are normal, and 100+ spells aren't that uncommon.

Needless to say, nobody has ever had an oil related problems, including those that have been running the 15W50 for well over 100,000 miles.

Got a message today that the RedLine 20W50 has been shipped, which is pretty good service since it was ordered late last night. Might not notice any difference or improvement with the Group 5 synthetic RedLine, and it's probably 'overkill' but what the heck.... Every once in a while it's fun to try something different, and at only $7.90 a quart it was hard to pass on the deal....

As far as running the RedLine in colder temperatures; the 20W50 most run year round in their bikes and 20W60 both act as a 20 weight oil on the bottom end, so there is no real difference.

But I'll probably go ahead and run the Mobil 1 15W50 during the fall and winter like I always have in the past, and use the RedLine 20W60 during the spring and summer.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
...what was your overall opinion....
I think a lot of folks forget how multi-weight viscosity oils work.

Multi-grade oils use polymers (viscosity index improvers or VII) to change the flow (centistokes) at different temperatures (using the ASTM D445 Kinematic Viscosity method).

So, at freezing temps, a 20w40, 20w50, or 20w60 will have similar flow rates. It's at the higher temps that different multi-grade oils begin to thin.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi levels of Zinc and Phosphorus are present in Synthetic Diesel oil's, which I run in both Dyna's and the Trucks

Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

There are not a lot of VII's in Redline and it has a very robust high moly additive pack.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
ctf81549
6th Gear
Default where to get 20-60

oldfenderguy where can i get cs of 20-60, thanks

Quick Reply: Redline Synthetic 20W60 Motorcycle Oil