Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn 3 switch to Mobil 1 VTwin

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh dear........

Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syn3 is a really good $6 oil priced at $11-$13.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Syn3 is a really good $6 oil priced at $11-$13.
No one can not argue with that, it is over priced.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Syn 3 switch to Mobil 1 VTwin-harley-pics-all-done-020.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
irongirl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bill G, According to their own specs and info, Syn-3 is one of the worst.
When Syn-3 first came out, Easy Rider Mag did a test on all the new oils that were out for Harley's. The test result showed Syn-3 as being the worst. Harley threatened a law suit so Easy Rider printed a retraction even though their finding were accurate.
Harley didn't want anyone to know how bad their new product was.
The only reason so many riders use it is because they dont educate themselves enough.
Funny being you guys love your bikes so much.

If it's so good, then why do so many riders have so many problems when using it.
It seems that when they change to a superior product, their problems go away.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree thre is nothing wrong with SYN-3

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irongirl
When Syn-3 first came out, Easy Rider Mag did a test on all the new oils that were out for Harley's. The test result showed Syn-3 as being the worst. Harley threatened a law suit so Easy Rider printed a retraction even though their finding were accurate.
The only reason so many riders use it is because they dont educate themselves enough.

If it's so good, then why do so many riders have so many problems when using it.
The only real problems I've ever heard of was from using Syn3 in the transmission and primary. I don't think it's a good choice for those.

As for the sort of test Easy Rider did, I'm sure other oils did better than Syn3. But in the "real world," just what does Syn3 not doing as well as other oils mean for the Harley owner who uses it? Absolutely nothing. Any modern Harley engine fed a straight diet of Syn3 that gets regular maintenance and regular oil changes will go 100,000+ without any oil-related engine failures. The same thing could be said for HD360 20w50, and virtually any 20w50 available. The key to long engine life isn't Mobil 1 vs Syn3 vs Amsoil, it's routine maintenance and regular oil changes. Period.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is for Iron girl...cover your eyes t

Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by irongirl

I will not get into a pissing match about this but I know of several Harleys with over a 100.000 miles on them that have run SYN-3 in them. I did not say SYN-3 was the best I said it was a decent oil that has tested fine in a lot of test that have been run on it by diffrent labs that had nothing to gain or loose by the results and yes there are test out there that say diffrent because a thousand people will chime in and say so and say so again.

The only point & fact that I was trying to make is if it was that bad Harley could not afford to support it as there best oil as they would have to pay to much out in repairs under warranty and this would make the MoCo loose money. This is a no brainer it would not be to there advantage or best interest to do so, again they would pay through the a## for warranty repairs if it was that bad. Believe what you want, put what you like in your bike and Ride Safe & Enjoy........

P.S you don't know me and yes I love and care about my bike and I bet you money I have ridden longer and know more mechanically about bikes in general than you my friend......

These Guys were Neutral and had nothing to gain either way on there testing - below is the conclusion of there test.

Figure 9. A comparison of TBN ratings of motor oils.
(1) Note. From Motorcycle Consumer News, Oil Investigation Update. 2003
(2) Note. Note. From Blackstone Labs, solicited testing. 2004
So, what is Harley-Davidson® oil? It seems H-D oil is a pretty well formulated oil for
your engine. It does test on the upper end of the viscosity scale for it’s rating with the SYN3
slightly thicker than the mineral-based H-D oils; it was actually the highest viscosity tested. The
TBN is among the highest tested and it contains no molybdenum. All in all it’s everything we all
say we want in an oil. The heat stability tests we ran, despite some inconsistencies in some
samples, seem to indicate a fair level of resistance to heat aging (Fig. 7).

Conclusion
We had hoped to change the world with our results. Use oil, use the proper grade, and
change it when you are supposed to. After all this work; that’s the best advice I’ve learned I can
give. Conspiracies were to be revealed and the world would have been a better place with these
tests. What was learned is that there are no simple answers. For those that care to dig, the
information is available. For those that do not care to worry themselves, it’s reasonable to follow
the manufacturer’s recommendations and simply enjoy the ride

Take Care & Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Syn 3 switch to Mobil 1 VTwin-harley-pics-all-done-018.jpg  

Last edited by Bill G; 03-23-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gary7
The only real problems I've ever heard of was from using Syn3 in the transmission and primary. I don't think it's a good choice for those.

As for the sort of test Easy Rider did, I'm sure other oils did better than Syn3. But in the "real world," just what does Syn3 not doing as well as other oils mean for the Harley owner who uses it? Absolutely nothing. Any modern Harley engine fed a straight diet of Syn3 that gets regular maintenance and regular oil changes will go 100,000+ without any oil-related engine failures. The same thing could be said for HD360 20w50, and virtually any 20w50 available. The key to long engine life isn't Mobil 1 vs Syn3 vs Amsoil, it's routine maintenance and regular oil changes. Period.
Well said and I agree 100% with everything you said.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Syn 3 switch to Mobil 1 VTwin-harley-pics-all-done-018.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill G
Well said and I agree 100% with everything you said.

Ride Safe,
Bill G
so what is the best choice for trans and primary?

Quick Reply: Syn 3 switch to Mobil 1 VTwin