Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Castrol Syntec Blend

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
irongirl
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the Dynacycle oil. $8.50 per quart. They are listed as one of the best.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Besides dynacycle, who says and can prove its the best?.,, You must sell it I see alot of your post's pushing it.,,

Old 03-22-2009, 08:12 PM
irongirl
Novice

No, thats funny. My husband and a couple of his friends use it and that's all they talk about, that and Nascar.
Being that he never shuts up about it, i figured I would get more info on it so I knew what they were talking about and thats how I found out all this info.
I just thought more guys would know more about this stuff being they seem to care more about these motorcycles then they do their woman. LOL.
I'm new to this forum so i figured I would have some fun with it.
Just a little shocked that more of you bikers dont check more ito these things.
I do the research for my husband and it works for me because I learn more about my own bike.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Besides dynacycle, who says and can prove its the best?.,, You must sell it I see alot of your post's pushing it.,,
It's easy for any company to push their product as "the best", but without an independent Virgin Oil Analysis (or better yet a Used Oil Analysis) performed on an oil sample company marketing claims mean very little.

I'd be hard pressed to pay $8.50 a quart for a synthetic blend oil of unknown quality when I can purchase something such as Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic oil for $4.20 a quart.

I paid less than $8.50 a quart for RedLine 20W60HD oil, which is one of the best group 5 ester based oils available.

I'm not saying that Dynacycle oil isn't a good synthetic blend, but it takes more than a company webpage to convince me that it's worth twice the price of a proven full synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 15W50.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting KB...

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You are probably right with the older bikes. But the newer EFI bikes run really hot with people reporting temperatures in excess of 300*F. They are tuned this lean from the factory to pass the EPA specs. It is common knowledge that dino oils begin to oxidize at about 250*F so in a newer TC88 or TC96 engine synthetic oil is probably a good investment. You can no longer compare the results of guys with carbed bikes or EVO engines as dino is fine with those. As for the M1 15w50...I always thought it was fine until some of the UOA's posted by reputable members here showed it sheared to a 40w very quickly. Will that work if you live in Maine or Minnesota or evern here in Ohio? Probably. Will it work in Arizona or Nevada or Alabama where heat ranges routinely run over 250*F on an air cooled motor? Maybe. But I am not willing to toast a $4000 engine for $10 difference in price. If I had a carbed TC or Evo I would use the Mobil1 15w50 but I don't.

Nobody ever really has an oil failure. What they do have is excessive engine wear that will show up in excessive oil consumption or warped cylinder heads that will cause oil leaks or even some early bearing failures. Look at some of the photos of the heat damage to Police version engines that guys have posted on here where the EFI bikes are run on HD360 dino. The engines still run but the longevity is cut dramatically.

FWIW, my TC88 ran extremely hot (260*F)until I switched it to synthetic and re-mapped with a SERT. Now it runs in the 220*F range. So the money is well spend IMO.
But is it not possible that a large part of the decrease in the temperatures you are seeing is attributable to the SERT retuning you did? After all, richening up the fuel mixture can cause a decrease in temps too.

Bart

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
irongirl
Novice

Hey oldfenderguy, why dont you put your money where your mouth is and try this stuff.
Everyone else seems to be impressed.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irongirl
Hey oldfenderguy, why dont you put your money where your mouth is and try this stuff.
Everyone else seems to be impressed.
Send me 3 quarts and I'll try it. I'll even pay for the UOA.

(BTW, how much is Dynacycle paying you to shill for them?)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:28 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Bart
But is it not possible that a large part of the decrease in the temperatures you are seeing is attributable to the SERT retuning you did? After all, richening up the fuel mixture can cause a decrease in temps too.

Bart
Sure. But I have run synthetics in both of my Harley's before and after tuning and there is a noticable difference in engine temps just from the oil.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Send me 3 quarts and I'll try it. I'll even pay for the UOA.

(BTW, how much is Dynacycle paying you to shill for them?)

LOL....true. If the maker of that oil wants to really promote it they should offer free samples to the people here. We would pay the shipping. I would do a UOA after 3000 miles at my own expense and post it.

SO there you go...for 6 quarts you would get a VOA and UOA and we would see how good this oil really is.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 03-26-2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I haven't been able to locate a voa on hd 360, but have been told syn3 has about the same additive package. I have thought about the levels that Harley has put in the oil they sell and heres what I think. Sure when compared to other oil brands, the additive numbers are lower, but must be what Harley feels is all that needed to go 5k miles between changes, and give the proper amount of protection .It seems everyone but Harley is worried about oil .While talking to the head wrench at the dealership I go to he said he doesn't see High numbers of catastrophic engine failures with Hd 360. And I'll bet the dealers work on more Harley motors then indy shops. Just shows how scare tactics in advertising can cause fear and uncertainty when used properly.,,

( QUOTE - from big cahuna on another oil thread about HD360 & SYN-3 oils = looks like you guys have had your minds made up and believe anything Harley will sell, I mean tell ya. )

Now he is useing what Harley has to say about oil to prove a point!!!!! I quess what Harley had to say about there oil this time worked for ya...

Kinda ironic ya think.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Attached Thumbnails Castrol Syntec Blend-harley-pics-all-done-019.jpg  

Quick Reply: Castrol Syntec Blend