Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Castrol Syntec Blend

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

A Indy bike shop by me charges almost $15 for a qt of Mobil 1 v twin oil.They'll be waitin a long time before I spend that much for any qt of oil.,,

Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
It's probably 1/2 the price of the M1 V-Twin.
Not here. Vtwin is about $3/qt more. So for the $9 per oil change I'll go with the Vtwin. I have seen a couple UOA's where the Castrol sheared out of grade pretty quickly much like the Mobil1 15w50.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
I have seen a couple UOA's where the Castrol sheared out of grade pretty quickly much like the Mobil1 15w50.
For what it's worth, and not to start an arguement, but sometimes I wonder how much of the detail 'ppm' breakdown information contained in various UOA's really matters when it comes to the low RPM, air cooled engines in Harleys...

I know it's fun to compare UOA's for various oils, and argue how one oil has to be better than another, but I wonder how critical some of the UOA information is other than for educational purposes.

As I've mentioned before, the majority of guys that I know that have 100,000+ miles on their original Harley engines are running regular old Mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50. Many guys I know run 20,000+ miles a year, so it's not difficult, and doesn't take that long to reach high mileage marks.

But by looking at various UOA's there are probably many other oils that most would consider 'superior' to Mobil 1 15W-50 for running in air cooled engines, and most of these oils come at a much higher price tag.

I would have to ask if so many bikes can run trouble free for 100,000 miles, 125,000 miles, or more, using an oil that costs less than $5.00 a quart, would it be justified to run an oil that costs twice as much just because it's suppose to be 'superior'?

Some of the guys I know with high mileage bikes run nothing but $2.50 a quart Rotella T 15W-40 dino oil in the extreme heat conditions here in the lower midwest. They think I'm crazy for spending $5.00 a quart for synthetic fluid, as their bikes seem to thrive on the cheap Rotella T.

Like I've said before, I'm sure glad the engines in Harley's are too dumb to read UOA's and other oil related information, as they seem to be perfectly happy no matter what oil they are given to drink..

From real world experience I still believe that just about any quality oil is all our bikes will ever need, and after a certain point the additional cost for so called 'higher quality motorcycle specific oil' far outweighs it's actual benefit.

But to each their own.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 AM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
It is not Jaso MA rated.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 are recommended for 4-cycle, motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 or a 20W-50 engine oil, respectively. These products will provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oils are also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 exceed the requirements of API Service Categories SJ, SH, SG/CF, CD and JASO MA . They have been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Castrol is API rated SM,SL,SJ,SH, CF,CD Ilsac GF-4 but lacks Jaso MA
HA HA HA HA Thats funny!

Last edited by dynarule; 02-05-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:09 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
For what it's worth, and not to start an arguement, but sometimes I wonder how much of the detail 'ppm' breakdown information contained in various UOA's really matters when it comes to the low RPM, air cooled engines in Harleys...

I know it's fun to compare UOA's for various oils, and argue how one oil has to be better than another, but I wonder how critical some of the UOA information is other than for educational purposes.

As I've mentioned before, the majority of guys that I know that have 100,000+ miles on their original Harley engines are running regular old Mobil 1 synthetic 15W-50. Many guys I know run 20,000+ miles a year, so it's not difficult, and doesn't take that long to reach high mileage marks.

But by looking at various UOA's there are probably many other oils that most would consider 'superior' to Mobil 1 15W-50 for running in air cooled engines, and most of these oils come at a much higher price tag.

I would have to ask if so many bikes can run trouble free for 100,000 miles, 125,000 miles, or more, using an oil that costs less than $5.00 a quart, would it be justified to run an oil that costs twice as much just because it's suppose to be 'superior'?

Some of the guys I know with high mileage bikes run nothing but $2.50 a quart Rotella T 15W-40 dino oil in the extreme heat conditions here in the lower midwest. They think I'm crazy for spending $5.00 a quart for synthetic fluid, as their bikes seem to thrive on the cheap Rotella T.

Like I've said before, I'm sure glad the engines in Harley's are too dumb to read UOA's and other oil related information, as they seem to be perfectly happy no matter what oil they are given to drink..

From real world experience I still believe that just about any quality oil is all our bikes will ever need, and after a certain point the additional cost for so called 'higher quality motorcycle specific oil' far outweighs it's actual benefit.

But to each their own.

You are probably right with the older bikes. But the newer EFI bikes run really hot with people reporting temperatures in excess of 300*F. They are tuned this lean from the factory to pass the EPA specs. It is common knowledge that dino oils begin to oxidize at about 250*F so in a newer TC88 or TC96 engine synthetic oil is probably a good investment. You can no longer compare the results of guys with carbed bikes or EVO engines as dino is fine with those. As for the M1 15w50...I always thought it was fine until some of the UOA's posted by reputable members here showed it sheared to a 40w very quickly. Will that work if you live in Maine or Minnesota or evern here in Ohio? Probably. Will it work in Arizona or Nevada or Alabama where heat ranges routinely run over 250*F on an air cooled motor? Maybe. But I am not willing to toast a $4000 engine for $10 difference in price. If I had a carbed TC or Evo I would use the Mobil1 15w50 but I don't.

Nobody ever really has an oil failure. What they do have is excessive engine wear that will show up in excessive oil consumption or warped cylinder heads that will cause oil leaks or even some early bearing failures. Look at some of the photos of the heat damage to Police version engines that guys have posted on here where the EFI bikes are run on HD360 dino. The engines still run but the longevity is cut dramatically.

FWIW, my TC88 ran extremely hot (260*F)until I switched it to synthetic and re-mapped with a SERT. Now it runs in the 220*F range. So the money is well spend IMO.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The high mileage bikes I reference are mainly newer TC EFI models, not the older EVO and Shovelheads.

As mentioned, opinions vary, but even here in the lower midwest (Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas areas where temperature can be extreme in the summer) these 100,000+ mile plus engines don't seem to realize that the lower cost basic oils might be harmful... Bikes don't leak, bearings are fine, no excessive wear, none of the terrible stuff that 'should' be happening.

Mobil 1 15W50 (either the Silver Cap or newer Gold Cap extended mileage version) seems to be the oil of choice with most that I ride with, and I can't see any benefit of upgrading to a 'better quality oil'.

I'm not knocking the higher cost motorcyle specific oils, and maybe some people feel better running them, but I don't think it is necessary. Also, when you think about it, how many casual type riders will never have to worry about a high mileage bike, as many end up selling or trading before they even hit the 50,000 mile mark.

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 02-05-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

100% synthetic 20w50 is the only way to go. i use mobile 1 v twin on my 05 rk and my 07 e/glide. must be formulated to run with wet clutch additives. i buy my oil at auto zone discount chain $9.95 a qt off the shelf and kn oil filter 171C from the same place for $11.00. it has the nut on the end, makes for easy removal

Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I haven't been able to locate a voa on hd 360, but have been told syn3 has about the same additive package. I have thought about the levels that Harley has put in the oil they sell and heres what I think. Sure when compared to other oil brands, the additive numbers are lower, but must be what Harley feels is all that needed to go 5k miles between changes, and give the proper amount of protection .It seems everyone but Harley is worried about oil .While talking to the head wrench at the dealership I go to he said he doesn't see High numbers of catastrophic engine failures with Hd 360. And I'll bet the dealers work on more Harley motors then indy shops. Just shows how scare tactics in advertising can cause fear and uncertainty when used properly.,,

Old 02-05-2009, 04:42 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
The high mileage bikes I reference are mainly newer TC EFI models, not the older EVO and Shovelheads.

As mentioned, opinions vary, but even here in the lower midwest (Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas areas where temperature can be extreme in the summer) these 100,000+ mile plus engines don't seem to realize that the lower cost basic oils might be harmful... Bikes don't leak, bearings are fine, no excessive wear, none of the terrible stuff that 'should' be happening.

Mobil 1 15W50 (either the Silver Cap or newer Gold Cap extended mileage version) seems to be the oil of choice with most that I ride with, and I can't see any benefit of upgrading to a 'better quality oil'.

I'm not knocking the higher cost motorcyle specific oils, and maybe some people feel better running them, but I don't think it is necessary. Also, when you think about it, how many casual type riders will never have to worry about a high mileage bike, as many end up selling or trading before they even hit the 50,000 mile mark.

You said it all there. Auto dino has worked great for me for many years here in Texas and no i dont have an oil cooler.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I haven't been able to locate a voa on hd 360, but have been told syn3 has about the same additive package.
True, but the Syn3 has a different base stock oil. I don't buy synthetic oil out of fear. But like posted here you can get Vtwin for <$10/qt. I have a 3 year supply of Redline 20w50 that I paid $4/qt for on closeout at AAP. I use what is best/cheapest. AAP closed out all the old formula Havoline 20w50 for $1/qt about 18 months ago...I just missed that one as 2 Harley owners bought all of it 5 minutes before I got there. But if the price is nominal between dino & synthetic I will buy the syn oil every time. It is better oil.

Quick Reply: Castrol Syntec Blend