Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Not impressed with syn oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Syn oil ain't "thinner"; the viscosity range for syn and reg'lar oil is the same. Plenty of reports on the noise issue, so it prob'ly is real. Anybody know (not have a guess) on why?
Rider's imagination?

Oh! You said no guess. I don't know, then.

I have always used synthetic, and notice no noise. Runs cool--it has to be a very hot day and a very hard ride to bring oil temps above 225. Most of the time it runs 175 to 200.

I just upgraded to 1250 cc's, new cams, reworked heads. At 25K miles there is zero wear apparent on the engine.

With the exception of break-in, synthetic is the way to go, no question about it.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
you are right about many miles before syn came along,i had 120k on my last hd when i traded in on my new dyna and it had regular old dino oil in it from day one. I had been reading all the hype on synthetic and how it will even grow hair on my bald head etc.etc. so i tried it on my new bike and the engine sounded a little sloppy. ihad later read that the syn was thinner than dino. I switched back to HD360 and the solid feel is back. I guess people think there bike will last forever with syn but i hate to tell ya that it is a machine and will will wear out no matter what oil you use and most people will never see that many miles on there bike before they trade it in or ever see the outcome of there over priced miracle oil. Just my opinion anyway. Hope this dont offend anybody.
That's the reason I use synthetic. I tried dino for years and wouldn't you know it, I was still bald. With Syn, I now have a full head of hair but I have to shave my hands.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Syn oil ain't "thinner"; the viscosity range for syn and reg'lar oil is the same. Plenty of reports on the noise issue, so it prob'ly is real. Anybody know (not have a guess) on why?
According to my Amsoil dealer 20/50 will appear to act as a thinner oil compared to an equivialant dino. This may have something to do with more uniform molocules, which will provide better protection but being uniform squeeze out easier and cushion less than dino with the occaisonal big chunk molocules that slow this process down like a damming effect on the smaller ones. Result is if you have a less than stellar lifter bleed down rate it will be noisier with syn than dino. The fix is to run one viscosity higher with syn.
While the above is a guess, but it's almost believable.
Ron

Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by rbabos
According to my Amsoil dealer 20/50 will appear to act as a thinner oil compared to an equivialant dino. This may have something to do with more uniform molocules, which will provide better protection but being uniform squeeze out easier and cushion less than dino with the occaisonal big chunk molocules that slow this process down like a damming effect on the smaller ones. Result is if you have a less than stellar lifter bleed down rate it will be noisier with syn than dino. The fix is to run one viscosity higher with syn.
While the above is a guess, but it's almost believable.
Ron
Could be the answer!

At least matches with what I got told; synthetic is uniform long-chain molecules, while dino is both long chain and short(er) chain molecules. There have been a few tribologists on here occasionally, but they never seem to chime in with any straight dope.

Who knows!?

Be nice if the guys with the edjimication in the field would give a straight answer without resorting to "trade secret" or other BS mumbo-jumbo.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had 17% fewer cavaties with synthetic oil....

Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Be nice if the guys with the edjimication in the field would give a straight answer without resorting to "trade secret" or other BS mumbo-jumbo.
Yeah...sure would but most of those guys have a BS in mumbo jumbo...

Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the answer!

At least matches with what I got told; synthetic is uniform long-chain molecules, while dino is both long chain and short(er) chain molecules. There have been a few tribologists on here occasionally, but they never seem to chime in with any straight dope.

Who knows!?

It kinda goes back to all the hype thing again. It would be nice if we could do a complete tare down on two engines, one using dino and the other with syn at 100K to see if ther is any real difference that would justify the high cost of syn oil. I would bet that if ther was less wear it would be such a small amount that it wouldnt really matter. my 2 cents worth any way.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
motrhd
Cruiser

I don't have one o them BS's...........but I know how to BS.........

As I understand it, syn oil molecules are all identical and pet oil molecules are all different(simply put). I also know from personal experience that there is a definite difference in different brands of pet(dino) oil. Torn down engines with 40,000 miles and brand H oil and inside of engine looked like
crap. Torn down engines with 100,000 miles with brand V and inside is clean as a whistle. Find out what works best for you ans stick with it. I'm running Royal Purple 20/50 in all 3 holes and really like it so far. Hair is coming back also...........

Hey on that olive oil and peanut oil...........can you still cook with it after 3000 miles ?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I have run synthetic oil in all of my bikes and never had a noise problem. I have noticed the engine runs cooler. I also have run synthetic oil in my C sports racing car and found an improvement in engine longevity. I think there will alway be a synthetic vs. dino oil debate, so use what ever you like best...

Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motrhd
Hey on that olive oil and peanut oil...........can you still cook with it after 3000 miles ?
I usually put it in some old oil bottles then give it to guys that own a metric bike.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with syn oil