Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Questions about Oil and Transmission fluids

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:17 AM
10_amp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Oil and Transmission fluids

I am a new HD owner. I have always owned metric cruisers. Usually all I would have to do is change the oil and that took care of the transmission. From what I am reading that is incorrect on HD's so I am a bit confused.

With the 2009 Sportster, I have to change engine oil and Transmission fluid?

I have the 1200 cc bike. So I read that after I drain the oil I pour 4 ounces of oil into the filter. install filter, then pour 2.8 quarts into the oil bag.

Do I have to change the Transmission fluid when I do oil changes? If so how much does it take to fill? Should i always use blue loctite on the screws? or just the loctite gasket stuff?

Thanks for the help

Old 11-23-2008, 04:00 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

Sportsters have seperate oils for the motor and primary. If you check your owners manual it will tell you when to change and how much oil it takes. your discription for the motor oil change will work fine. Some folks just screw the filter on dry and it works for them. As for the trans and primary case, You can use Harley's oils or any good grade of mc oil that doesn't say its energy conserving. my buddy use's Amsoil 20/50 every 5k miles and it works fine for him. you don't want to use any gear oil in the primary as it's also bathes the clutch and it will cause slipage

Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Look in your owners manual for oil change instructions. If you don't have a manual call the MoCo hotline and they will send you one. It will have the capacities and torque requirements. You do have 2 sumps to change one is the engine crancase and one is the shared transmission/primary chaincase. I always used HD SYn3 20w50 in both on my 2005 Sporty and it was fine. SO, I recommend the SYn3 because it has a very low moly content and won't cause clutch slippage. Make sure you use a HD filter too. Also, if you are doing your own oil service make a dates log and keep receipts for warranty verification. Good luck!