Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil Analyses Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:22 PM
hawk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Analyses Results

Great thread pococj, Thanks for the info

Old 04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
grumpygit
Tourer

[sm=thanx.gif], Skip.

Really useful info. I asked my dealer if they can supply any oils other than HD branded stuff, but they don't keep anything else. Since I am tied to using dealers for servicing while under warranty (although I do intermediate oil changes myself), I think I'll go with Syn3 for now (but maybe not in the tranny - I'm still undecided[sm=smiley23.gif]) at the 5,000.

I'll change to something better next year.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
pingj
Intermediate

Skip, Thanks for the info. I just got my first Harley a couple of weeks ago and since it was a repo I've been going over it with fine toothed comb checking everything. I was unsure what was the best oil, till I read your post. I went with the V-twin Mobile 1 since it was available, but will probably just use the car version for future oil changes. Thanks for the great post.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:30 PM
pingj
Intermediate

Oh I forgot to mention, aftet the oil change I could feel the difference in the temp. I don't have a oil thermometer yet but the difference was noticable just by riding it.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:30 PM
n2xlr8n
Novice

ORIGINAL: pococj
Amsoil is reformulating at least some of their oils. S'posed to be out in April. Prices are going up, too. I'm hoping someone will send some in for an analysis. Amsoil does have some wear test results on their site, but I've read both pro & con on the applicability of the test to the real world.
I'll post the results when I get them back from Blackstone. I use Amsoil for my bike, but FWIW, I use M1 15w50 in my cars. Next engine I build, it will utilize M1 15w50, too.

Also wanted to mention: The bike as-delivered used HD in the Primary / tranny. After the Amsoil change, the gear changes were much less "clunky"; I was impressed.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:45 AM
jerseyjim
1st Gear

Well, this is not the first, or only, oil survey. I think MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News Magazine) did one maybe a year or two ago. What they basically said was: "motorcycle brand" oil is a rip.

As far as I know, for the FOSSIL oil, H-D uses Sunoco. The 20-50, add a bit of zinc? add 2 bucks a quart, and that = Genuine H-D oil.

At any rate, my '92 FLHS has some 40,000 miles on it. Exclusivly on H-D 20-50 (fossil) changed (along with the oil filter..."Genuine", of course, made in Taiwan) every 3000 miles.

Yeah, I know....over $3/quart. BUT: if that (oil) is, even in the smallest way, responsible for 40,000 absolutely trouble free (motor) miles, then it's a small (rip) price to pay. Besides, I never pay for the oil anyway. I always get gift certs from my kids.

I resist syn oil because of price. When fossil gets THAT expensive ($6+/qt) then I'll change over.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like opinions on using syn 5w40 Rottella in the engine. It is available @ Wally World and a real bargain by the 5 quart jug. On top of that it is deisel rated. I am reticent to chance it because of the top weight of 40 (it is not available in 20w50). I plan on trying it in my plain bearing Guzzi.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:33 PM
n2xlr8n
Novice

ORIGINAL: jcc/tx

I would like opinions on using syn 5w40 Rottella in the engine.
I wouldn't, unless the service manual says it is within the range / specification of allowed oils, and even then I probably wouldn't. Too thin, IMO. I prefer 50w.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcc/tx

I would like opinions on using syn 5w40 Rottella in the engine. It is available @ Wally World and a real bargain by the 5 quart jug. On top of that it is deisel rated. I am reticent to chance it because of the top weight of 40 (it is not available in 20w50). I plan on trying it in my plain bearing Guzzi.
The 40 weight ain't a good idee in the summer.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:05 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jerseyjim

Well, this is not the first, or only, oil survey. I think MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News Magazine) did one maybe a year or two ago. What they basically said was: "motorcycle brand" oil is a rip.

As far as I know, for the FOSSIL oil, H-D uses Sunoco. The 20-50, add a bit of zinc? add 2 bucks a quart, and that = Genuine H-D oil.

At any rate, my '92 FLHS has some 40,000 miles on it. Exclusivly on H-D 20-50 (fossil) changed (along with the oil filter..."Genuine", of course, made in Taiwan) every 3000 miles.

Yeah, I know....over $3/quart. BUT: if that (oil) is, even in the smallest way, responsible for 40,000 absolutely trouble free (motor) miles, then it's a small (rip) price to pay. Besides, I never pay for the oil anyway. I always get gift certs from my kids.

I resist syn oil because of price. When fossil gets THAT expensive ($6+/qt) then I'll change over.
Harley just loves the profit they make on all their oils, and if you don't have to buy oil, why not get the best available for your engine.

Quick Reply: Oil Analyses Results