Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oil level on dyna ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:32 PM
WhatTaxi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil level on dyna ???

Engine oil

well i check my oil yesterday hadn't been ridden all week so it was cold as and overfilled acording to manual . when i looked at a mate's level it was was well over the hot mark when it was stone cold .I was going to morgan and wackers ( Harley dealer in Brisbane Australia ) When i told the dude at the service , he ask if i screwed the top all the way in to check i said yes he said well there's ya problem you shouldn't do that , u just stick it in without screwing it in and there's ya reading. The paragraph for hot and cold check says TO screw back all the way in to get a reading .So then i ring M&W Brisbane they tell me that some you do screw all the way in and some u dont so we here at M&W have decided to do all the same way which is not screw in at all.

So what the right way ?? I say by the manual .

does it matter??

if u do 1 way or the other u either have too much or too little oil . Better to have much then to little i gess .

what do you guys say on this matter?

Thanks
Taxi

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 07 Dyna service manual and owners manual say to screw it in till it stops that is how i have always checked mine hot or cold and have had no issues. Honestly i have never payed much attention to the cold reading when i change the oil i put in 2 1/2 quarts fire up the engine warm it up and check it. I mean i check it cold just to make sure theres oil in there but i always warm the bike up then check it if its full on hot i ride.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:00 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Best readings are always hot on the jiffy stand after allowing 4-5 minutes for the oil to return to the tank. I don't screw it in at all. Never a problem. Also, at oil change time 2.5 qts out-2.5 qts back in and the level is always just right.