Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

oils and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 AM
cruzin papa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oils and warranty

Hello all
Ok I was at the dealers yesterday. And I asked the parts man if they carried Moble1 oils. He said no. I then asked him if I was to bring the Moble1 oil with me if they would use it in my bike. My bike is new and I have about 600 miles on it and I'm thinking of going ahaed and letting them do the 1st service on it before I put it away for the winter. Anyway he said they would but it would void my warranty. He said I had to use all H-D fluids or the warranty was void. This kind of rubs me the wrong way. 1st because from all I can read I think the Moble1 oils are just better than the H-D Syn3 oil. And I don't like buying anything from Citgo, that makes H-D oils. I don't understand Harley Davidson using Citgo to make there oil. One reason I got a Harley was it's an American legend and then to find out they are in the bed with that anti-american SOB and that I have to use his oil to keep my warranty pisses me off to no end. Is there any thing I can do about this? I wonder if it would do any good to call Harley customer service?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 AM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

As many will tell you, HD cannot force you to use HD oil. It's BS.

On a new bike, have them put in HD Dino oil, then at your 5K service, do it yourself and use M1.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Steeltoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzin papa
Hello all
Ok I was at the dealers yesterday. And I asked the parts man if they carried Moble1 oils. He said no. I then asked him if I was to bring the Moble1 oil with me if they would use it in my bike. My bike is new and I have about 600 miles on it and I'm thinking of going ahaed and letting them do the 1st service on it before I put it away for the winter. Anyway he said they would but it would void my warranty. He said I had to use all H-D fluids or the warranty was void. This kind of rubs me the wrong way. 1st because from all I can read I think the Moble1 oils are just better than the H-D Syn3 oil. And I don't like buying anything from Citgo, that makes H-D oils. I don't understand Harley Davidson using Citgo to make there oil. One reason I got a Harley was it's an American legend and then to find out they are in the bed with that anti-american SOB and that I have to use his oil to keep my warranty pisses me off to no end. Is there any thing I can do about this? I wonder if it would do any good to call Harley customer service?
Ask him to put it in writing. If he does (unlikely) whip out your copy of the Moss-Magnussen act with the "Tie-In Sales" Provisions section highlighted.
Get it here: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus01.shtm
He has then obligated himself to GIVE YOU,FREE OF CHARGE any and all products required for maintenence for the duration of the warranty.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:42 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:I wonder if it would do any good to call Harley customer service?

Do you really think you will get anywhere with them? They are all brainwashed into the same bs reasoning. Warranty cannot be denied if the oil rating is equal or better .
Most car dealerships buy oil in bulk. As long as the price is right and ratings are what's called for, they could give a rat's on what brand it is. That's how it should be.
Ron

Old 10-26-2008, 12:57 PM
cruise_carter
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

This is what the act states..

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Use whatever oil you like AS LONG AS IT MEETS HD SPECS laid out in the manual.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Time to have some fun at the parts dude's expense. Drop back in and tell him you want to schedule your bike for the free oil change he offered you. When he tries shinin' you on with his crap, ask him if he's heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:44 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Time to have some fun at the parts dude's expense. Drop back in and tell him you want to schedule your bike for the free oil change he offered you. When he tries shinin' you on with his crap, ask him if he's heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
I love your idea.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:47 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I found this on internet it's old but should still apply.

http://www.stokesabode.com/amsoil/Ne...y-Coverage.htm

Harley Davidson Warranty Coverage
Harley-Davidson Confirms The Use Of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil Does Not Void Harley-Davidson Warranty Coverage
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 West Juneau Ave., P.O. Box 653, Milwaukee, WI 53201 414/342-4680

January 31, 2003

Aaron Scanlon
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

Dear Mr. Scanlon:

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on Harley-Davidson's one-year, unlimited mileage warranty when Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Until now, the Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there had never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in HD/Buell motorcycles to determine the viability of using these products on Harley-Davidson products until now.

We have developed a specially formulated synthetic fluid called SYN3. This fluid can be used in Harley-Davidson engines, transmissions and primary Chain Cases. This product had been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product tested and certified by Harley-Davidson engineering for use on HD/Buell motorcycles.

The use of a different brand of fluid does not void the one-year, unlimited mileage warranty unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure.

Thank you, Mr. Scanlon, for taking the time to write to Harley-Davidson and allowing me to answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Lisa Sagen
Powertrain Customer Service

Old 10-31-2008, 01:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Get a Service Manual and DIY. If you are worried about your warranty then have them do the 1st service with syn3. Then get a SM & DIY. I broke my bike in on syn3. It was fine. Once you change your own fluids you won't go back for that again. BTW, the guy is just jacking his customers for more oil sales. My dealer included my first service with syn3 at n/c with both of my bikes as he does with all new bike customers. I would look for a different dealer for service if there is another one in your area.