Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Why is my EVO sumping GREY oil???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
mrbikeuk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why is my EVO sumping GREY oil???

Yet again more problems with this 91 Delkron cased Evo motor!!! We have just given this it's second shake down run- 15 miles - and it's still sumping at start up (despite yet another S&S billet oil pump), and then when warm at idle it's sumping grey oil and "steaming" from engine breather via Krank Vent- now we all know theres no water in an air cooled engine so all it can be is condensation somehow getting into motor! OR ???? do you know any different??? Other problem is oil spraying big time from the high pressure strainer (above oil pump next to tappet blocks) - this we have fitted 2 O rings and made sure surface is spotless - any suggestions for this one??? (this oil is normal colour).
Here's hopin.....

Old 09-22-2008, 11:14 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you sucking your primary oil in past the engine drive sprocket shaft seal?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
mrbikeuk
Intermediate
Exclamation Don't think so

Never thought on that one? However, we are running same oil as engine in the primary so cross contamination would be 2 of the same oil anyway. Just checked the levels after reading your reply but primary level has not changed. More worrying thoug is the fact the oil returning to the tank is still black/brown - not grey! again witmessed by the oil leaking out high pressure strainer valve next to tappet block. So whatever is happening appears to be in the crankcase area - as we say - it's a head scratcher!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Well if the primary level has not changed that is not it because if there is a void in the front seal the vaccum created by the upstroke of the front piston will suck oil out of there. Check your trans oil level just for the heck of it. Let me think on this one.

As far as the sumping goes I would take a close look at your check valve and make sure the ball has seated in there correctly. Also, look at the seat and make sure it is not deformed, pitted, or scored. Sometimes on a brand new motor if that ball is not seated correctly it will sump. Look at the spring too. Once you have determined the seat is not damaged, clean it off and clean the ball then lightly oil both and using a punch and a hammer and LIGHTLY tap the ball in place to seat it. BTW, If the ball doesn't look perfect upon inspection replace it.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 09-23-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM
mrbikeuk
Intermediate

Is this one too technical for you guys???? 25,000 views on a post about "what oil should I use?" and almost none on this one! come on get real.....the 25,000 were "no brainers" this is REAL world tech problem.......

Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM
hardluk1
Road Master

You have been given good advise. Who built it ? call delkron? The 25,000 is the whole section. You could also pm some motor experts.
Pay attention to what KBFXDLI ,he has preety much coverd what most would have said. Oil tanks mounted high ? ITs sumping -oil flowing back. If tanks is under tranny,You put something together wrong. More than likely.Something blocked in there.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrbikeuk
Is this one too technical for you guys???? 25,000 views on a post about "what oil should I use?" and almost none on this one! come on get real.....the 25,000 were "no brainers" this is REAL world tech problem.......
Troubleshooting on the internet is always a challenge. Is your oil pump assembled correctly? My best guess is that you have a blockage in the pump or vent system if it is leaking out the top and sumping as well. Or the pump is not functioning correctly. As for the gray oil thing I have no idea other than there is something coming apart and there is so much metal in the oil it is discoloring it. Did you use assembly lube when building? If so, what type?