Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

no oil returning to oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:02 AM
ldhdrider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no oil returning to oil tank

Installed new cam support plate, oil pump and associated o rings. Started engine, oil pressure was good. Then it started falling shut engine down, checked oil level in tank and it was barely any showing on dip stick.The oil isn't being scavenged out of the crank case or cam compartment. Anyone out there had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it? I've take everything back apart to check if something broke or was not installed correctly but everything appears to be right.

Last edited by ldhdrider; 08-14-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Look at your bypass valve & spring first. May be stuck open.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
ldhdrider
Stage II

Taking it apart again tonight to double check everything, Thanks

Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM
tjjung
Intermediate
Default No oil to oil tank

Just got my 08 ultra back from the dealer. Several weeks ago i noticed an increase in oil temp and related decrease in oil pressure. The oil temp would rise slowly but after about 50 to 75 miles would get very hot-325 degrees plus. After numerous tests the dealer discovered that oil was sumping in the crankcase and not returning to the tank. Crankcase had about one quart of oil in it when it should have had only 4-6 oz. The cam plate was removed and everything looked normal including the o-rings. Factory instructed the dealer to replace all o-rings and re-align the oil pump gear. The service mgr. told me that there was a procedure to follow for the alignment. Engine put back together and problem solved. Because two actions were taken it cannot be determined for sure which repair fixed the problem. The svc mgr suspects that it was an improperly installed o-ring from the factory the began to cavitate resulting in sucking air and not oil.
The oil did not overheat on the ride home. Tomorrow i will ride in 90 plus temps here in the Houston area to make sure the bike is fixed.
Engine had about 6000 miles on it when this happened.
And, coincidentally, started after the fuel filter canister was replaced after developing a leak. This was done before the recall came out.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 AM
caspr2
Tourer

Originally Posted by tjjung
Just got my 08 ultra back from the dealer. Several weeks ago i noticed an increase in oil temp and related decrease in oil pressure. The oil temp would rise slowly but after about 50 to 75 miles would get very hot-325 degrees plus. After numerous tests the dealer discovered that oil was sumping in the crankcase and not returning to the tank. Crankcase had about one quart of oil in it when it should have had only 4-6 oz. The cam plate was removed and everything looked normal including the o-rings. Factory instructed the dealer to replace all o-rings and re-align the oil pump gear. The service mgr. told me that there was a procedure to follow for the alignment. Engine put back together and problem solved. Because two actions were taken it cannot be determined for sure which repair fixed the problem. The svc mgr suspects that it was an improperly installed o-ring from the factory the began to cavitate resulting in sucking air and not oil.
The oil did not overheat on the ride home. Tomorrow i will ride in 90 plus temps here in the Houston area to make sure the bike is fixed.
Engine had about 6000 miles on it when this happened.
And, coincidentally, started after the fuel filter canister was replaced after developing a leak. This was done before the recall came out.
This is exactly the post I've been looking for mine has been back to the dealer twice for the same thing.
That and shearing a cam bolt each time.
The last time it failed the temps got over 340 and burnt syc3 (really smells bad when burnt)
The bike is in the shop and they are replacing the cam plate and assy now.
Thanks for this info.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:03 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by caspr2
This is exactly the post I've been looking for mine has been back to the dealer twice for the same thing.
That and shearing a cam bolt each time.
The last time it failed the temps got over 340 and burnt syc3 (really smells bad when burnt)
The bike is in the shop and they are replacing the cam plate and assy now.
Thanks for this info.

Well there is a reason to run synthetic oil. If you had dino HD360 in there you would probably be replacing a toasted engine.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:31 AM
Luanvu
Stage I
Default did you fix it please help me because i have the same problem as you

Originally Posted by ldhdrider
Installed new cam support plate, oil pump and associated o rings. Started engine, oil pressure was good. Then it started falling shut engine down, checked oil level in tank and it was barely any showing on dip stick.The oil isn't being scavenged out of the crank case or cam compartment. Anyone out there had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it? I've take everything back apart to check if something broke or was not installed correctly but everything appears to be right.
did you fix it please help me because i have the same problem as you

Old 02-09-2023, 01:18 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by Luanvu
did you fix it please help me because i have the same problem as you
See post # 4