Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

The TRUTH about synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006 | 11:24 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: The TRUTH about synthetics

[/quote]

That puts the Mobil1 V twin up there with Amsoil. Nuther thing about synlubes: If you drive normally and change the lubes regularly dino oil will work fine, but that one time you go redline or beyond either purposly or inadvertantly, the dino lube can fail, where the synlube will save your motor. It's also an extended service lube; I think Redline say's you can run theirs for 10,000 mi. if you just change the filter every 3000.

[/quote]

I called the tech at Redline Oil and he said to put at least 2000 miles on the engine with dino or syn3 before switching to Redline 20w50 in the motor. He also said you could go to Redline shockproof right away in the trans and MTL in the primary. Have you run the MTL?

Old 03-24-2006 | 12:45 PM
Cognizant
|
Tourer

[/quote]

I called the tech at Redline Oil and he said to put at least 2000 miles on the engine with dino or syn3 before switching to Redline 20w50 in the motor. He also said you could go to Redline shockproof right away in the trans and MTL in the primary. Have you run the MTL?

[/quote]

OH that's good info, glad you posted that. I'm gonna run the Mobil V twin or Amsoil in my crankcase cuz I insist on changing at 3000 regardless, and it's locally available. I've ordered some of the "shockproof" for the tranny on your recomendation, now I'll call them back and get some MTL as well. I've always used Redline in the drivetrain of my 4X4 truck; shockproof in the differentials and MTL in the transmission and transfer case. The MTL is far superrior to off the shelf gear lubes. The tranny in my 85 Toyota is notorious for hard shifting in cold weather, the MTL cured that. Most of the guys I know who wheel their Toyotas are using MTL in the tranny.

Old 03-24-2006 | 11:00 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

ORIGINAL: Oldcorps

It's obvious that there is considerable controversy about synthetic lubricants on this forum. Although I'm a relitively new member of this forum I believe that MOST of the folks who frequent the threads here are reasonably intelligent. I make that assumption based on the overall use of good spelling and grammer, something sorely missing on other forums I frequent.

Several years ago I came upon a great little publication for auto enthusists. I was immediatly attracted because their monthly did not use advertising of any sort and provided excellent information. After printing some articles about synthetic lubricants, by popular demand they eventually put the whole series together into a single article and titled it "Battle of the synlubes". I haven't the ability to transfer the publication to this forum. For those of you truely interrested in knowing the TRUTH about synthetic lubricants, go to a website called NUTZ and BOLTZ and for about $10 they will send you the afore mentioned article.

If there are any members near Ocala Florida who have the ability to transfer a 22 page document to this forum, I will be glad to provide my publication for that purpose so everybody doesn't have to go throught the process of acquireing their own copy.

I got the report scanned and put it in a PDF format. You will need Adobe Reader to view it. Get that here http://www.adobe.com

Be patient the report is over 4.7 meg and takes a little while to load. You can right click on the link and save it to your computer.

The report: http://www.msttn.com/dyna/OilReport.pdf

Thanks to OldCorps.