Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

The TRUTH about synthetics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006 | 10:09 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Default RE: The TRUTH about synthetics

Let me ask this: Is it possible that switching to Mobile 1 V-twin one could have a slightly different performance? i.e. bike was dyno'd at 9500 miles (been on the Syn 3) for the last 4500 miles, switched to Mobile 1, now bike seems to have less performance. Maybe it's me.

Old 03-19-2006 | 12:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Let me ask this: Is it possible that switching to Mobile 1 V-twin one could have a slightly different performance? i.e. bike was dyno'd at 9500 miles (been on the Syn 3) for the last 4500 miles, switched to Mobile 1, now bike seems to have less performance. Maybe it's me.

If you like the Syn3 and perceive it's better.......use it. Perception is everything in my book. There is so little difference between the performance of the top synthetic 20w50 oils that for me it's coming down to price & availability. I can get Mobil1Vtwin 2 miles from home for $8/qt and Syn3 6 miles at the dealer for about $7 with my discount. So, why pay the extra buck? The only real huge factor for me has been the really improvement with Redline Shockproof Heavy in the trans.

Old 03-19-2006 | 12:57 PM
cdn.biker
Advanced

The synthetic oil debate has gone on for years. I use synthetic oil in my bike because I believe it is a better product for protection. I had been using Harley's Sync3 but on my new bike I will be using Amsoil MCV once broken in.

I have a PDF file with an "Oil Comparison" but am unable to attach it. The file is also located on the www.amsoil.com web site.

Thanks Tom

Old 03-19-2006 | 09:27 PM
fl_799
Road Master

In building and tuning Muscle cars, Sythetic oils are worth a gods honest 4-5 rear wheel horsepower on small blocks with slightly better gains on Big blocks. The effect on controlling wear and heat on the big blocks alone is worth the extra coin.
ORIGINAL: 2005UltraNC

Old 03-19-2006 | 09:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cdn.biker

The synthetic oil debate has gone on for years. I use synthetic oil in my bike because I believe it is a better product for protection. I had been using Harley's Sync3 but on my new bike I will be using Amsoil MCV once broken in.

I have a PDF file with an "Oil Comparison" but am unable to attach it. The file is also located on the www.amsoil.com web site.

Thanks Tom
Arrgghhh!!! AMSOIL and snake doctors!

Old 03-19-2006 | 09:59 PM
fl_799
Road Master

LOL

ORIGINAL: pococj

Thanks Tom

Old 03-19-2006 | 10:22 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Yep....

ORIGINAL: fl_799

LOL

ORIGINAL: pococj

Thanks Tom

Old 03-19-2006 | 11:13 PM
tripl8
Road Captain

"Arrgghhh!!! AMSOIL and snake doctors! " ...10-4.

Old 03-20-2006 | 09:58 AM
Cognizant
|
Tourer

Whether or not synthetic is a better product than dyno oil is a foregone conclussion: there is no longer any doubt of it.

The point I'm trying to make is, if the stuff you paid extra $ for is actually a synthetic lubricant or a dyno oil labeled as a synthetic.

You can't go wrong with Amsoil, but it isn't the best, and it burns me that they continue to make that claim to increase sales.

Old 03-21-2006 | 03:34 AM
007deuce
Advanced

I recently went to Los Angeles Harley Davidson and saw Amsoil motorcycle oil for the first time in person. I bought a case to try it out.

Currently got syn 3 in my Deuce... Got a few bottles of Mobil1 V twin, and Syn3 left in the Garage.

Planning to use Mobil1 and Amsoil during the hot summer time and Syn 3 during California winter.

Personally, I think any synthetic motorcycle oil will run just fine...

Quick Reply: The TRUTH about synthetics