Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Synthetic too slick??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
One thing different from the cars is that we do not run 5w-30 oil in our bikes as they are air cooled. Harley engines and aircraft engines are a different breed from the car engines, and most other motorcycle engines. I do not know of any car engines that use roller brgs. on the rods, or camshafts for that matter.

Just me, but I do not believe it is the slickness that might be a problem. On the other hand I am not convinced that there isn't a problem. I have heard of problems with synthetic in aircraft engines also. From what I have read, they have switched back to dino. Our Harley engines are very much like aircraft engines in that they are both air cooled, and run at fairly low RPM high torque.

I also do not know if we will ever know, as both synthetic, and dino seem to work without problems in most bikes. Just something to think about.
Jim, we also don't know if aliens exist or not, but that won't cause me to feel nervous walking around at night in my backyard. If there was evidence to support the "too slick" fantasy it would be one thing, but there isn't any. About 13 years ago when I first heard this ludicrous idea I called Torrington, who makes bearings, and talked with one of their engineers. He laughed when I asked him about it and said "If a lubricant is too slick to allow a roller bearing to spin it is also too slick to cause any wear." He said that such a condition could not exist in an internal-combustion engine, but might happen in a centrifuge, where there is no load on the bearings.

I ran a very slick synthetic in my old '96 Evo and it is still running today with no engine work at 120k miles.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
One thing different from the cars is that we do not run 5w-30 oil in our bikes as they are air cooled. Harley engines and aircraft engines are a different breed from the car engines, and most other motorcycle engines. I do not know of any car engines that use roller brgs. on the rods, or camshafts for that matter.

Just me, but I do not believe it is the slickness that might be a problem. On the other hand I am not convinced that there isn't a problem. I have heard of problems with synthetic in aircraft engines also. From what I have read, they have switched back to dino. Our Harley engines are very much like aircraft engines in that they are both air cooled, and run at fairly low RPM high torque.

I also do not know if we will ever know, as both synthetic, and dino seem to work without problems in most bikes. Just something to think about.
The Moble 1 fiasco of the 70s where syns were used in aircraft engines was a bit different. Poor detergent packages cause some severe sludging problems in the 500 hours of operation time frame. That was the end of syns for a real long time. Aeroshell has a synthetic blend that's been out for many years now and works well.
Ron

Old 02-28-2010, 01:50 AM
genedjr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

virtually all 'high duty' engine (aircraft, ship, crane, etc.) manufacturers recommend various synthetic lubricants.

I am sorry - on a soap-box now.

But, stop and check the emotions at the door - how could 'too slick' be a problem? When I was but a ute I heard this argument and laughed at the idiot.

People get way to emotional and just stop using good sense.
...gene

Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,435 Likes on 5,026 Posts

The synthetic aircraft oil issue is 30 years old. Ancient history.
The issue was that the fuel was leaded fuel, and the detergent package was not correct for that type of fuel.

Oil too slick for an engine. I always get a laugh when I hear that.

Use the proper weight oil and you are good to go, syn or dino work fine.

Too many people are obsessive about oil, it`s more important to worry about how much air pressure is in your tires than what type of oil is in the engine...

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Probably right genedjr; Why does any body care what other people use in their bikes anyway.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could buy some of that oil that's tooooo Slick cause my engine would be 300HP without doing anything but changing the oil(s)!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STP Oil Additive

Anyone remember the old STP television commercial where the guy could hold onto a screwdriver dipped in car oil, but absolutely couldn't hang onto the screwdriver dipped in STP? Seems even in the '60's they were trying to make oil slipperier!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using synthetic oils in my bikes for nearly 30 years and for the last 6 in my Harleys.

This bearing skate s#it is getting real old.