Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Amsoil. I do the preferred customer deal and it works out to around 8 bucks a qt. 20-50 in the engine, 10-40 in the primary and 75-90 in the trans. I actually don't disagree with those who stick with dino (standard fossil oil) It's just I've got this weird way with my hog and running amsoil just makes me feel better. I also may try Redline, my son runs it and likes it, and I know what is meant by the lifter noise... decisions decisions.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
transam7969
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickpisp
Royal Purple or Metamucil?
lmao whoops

Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Amsoil preferred customer, I'm all set! I have a friend who will share the cost of the membership and his bike runs water-cooled so he needs 15w40,we will each order our case of oil and cut the shipping cost in 2!!! CHEERS!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
No, not a wet behind the ears pup that buys everything he hears. And, no don't believe I'll be going into the dealer for a bunch of warranty work.

And no, the dearlership certainly does not have me by the short hair. Point I was trying to make, and what I try to do, is think for myself and not look at dealerships as villians just because its fashionable. Yep, probably some incompetent mechanics out there in Harley dealerships and probably quite a few dealers just interested in taking your money and then kicking you in the a**.

But, there is no way Harley is not using a quality engineered for their product lubricate in their new bikes. Warranty work takes from the profit line and ultimately from the stock holders. And, it would be great PR for Mobil to have Harley as a customer. I'm sure they bid hard for the contract.

Bones.
Well your last post seems like you believe what they say. Not using HD products will not void your warranty as long as you change the oil have your receipts and don't let it go to sludge. Screw paying $300 for a 1k or 5k service when all they do is read out of the same factory service manual you can purchase and your services are maybe $50. These dealerships only refer what they are contracted with and what they need to get out of inventory. As for service, it's just ridiculous the amount of money. You can probably change the oil in a diesel truck cheaper. Maybe the HD oil is a great oil, my dad has ran HD Dino in his FXR for 80k+ miles now and it's fine, but there is better oils out there. The fact that my sewing machine noise from the primary is gone, cooler or consistent motor temps, smoother shifts, easier to find neutral. I had the stock dino oil. Had HD do the 1k with SYN 3, bike seemed louder and not as smooth. Did my own change with AMSOIL at my 5k and will never look back. The difference is for the better and will be sticking with it.

And I was being sarcastic about bringing the back for warranty work. I was just saying you probably have a better chance of it listening to them.

Last edited by JaronB; 05-05-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ring
I've been reading alot of posts on here about engine oil so I don't want to beat a dead horse but just would like everyones opinion before I make my final decision on what oil to use.

I am thinking I am going to go with Redline syn 20w-50. It seems from everything I have read on here and other websites it is the best. I talked to the service manager at the local HD dealer and he said don't waist the money on syn unless you live in Death Valley. My opinion is that it would be a worthy investment to go with a good syn oil like Redline.

What do you guys think?
Don't waste your money on syn!!??? The stupid HD dino oil is the same cost as syn! Arspicks i tell ya!
Become an Amsoil preferred customer and you'll never search any further!

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have switched to Amsoil. I have only done one fluid change. I like what I have read, and it is a choice that I am happy with, so I am going to stick with it for the entirety of the bikes life.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior

The HD Catalog states that you can use the Screaming Eagle Synthetic 20-50 oil in the Engine Transmission and Primary so what is the oil weights on the specific HD transmission and Primary oil bottles ?
No, they don't. The latest recommendations on Syn 3 can be looked up on the Harley Davidson website - listed in accessories / Screaming Eagle or maintenance section. It used to say use in all three, it doesn't now... check it out.
Formula + weight? I don't know... use gear oil in trans (75/90 etc) and primary is chain case for heat dissipation and lube "no friction modifier" because of the clutch.
I run 20/50 in the engine, 10/40 primary and 75/90 in trans, all Amsoil. Your bike, your choice.

Last edited by clicker01; 05-06-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM
por2gezo
Tourer

where does everybody buy their amsoil

Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,157 Likes on 3,674 Posts

Originally Posted by por2gezo
where does everybody buy their amsoil
For $20 you can become a preferred sealer and buy the oil a discounted price...i have ordered 1 filter, 1 case of 20w50 and 16 quarts of 10w40 and i think with freight it was $276.00...that included $21 ibn UPS and tax.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:13 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ring
I've been reading alot of posts on here about engine oil so I don't want to beat a dead horse but just would like everyones opinion before I make my final decision on what oil to use.

I am thinking I am going to go with Redline syn 20w-50. It seems from everything I have read on here and other websites it is the best. I talked to the service manager at the local HD dealer and he said don't waist the money on syn unless you live in Death Valley. My opinion is that it would be a worthy investment to go with a good syn oil like Redline.

What do you guys think?
With hundreds of posts on oil...aren't you already beating a dead horse by just posting another one....simply 'asking for everyone's opinion'??

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL