Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
You guys don't give up do you, how many pounds of pressure does a TC oil pump put out? How many foot pounds of torque does it take to roll that fat *** hog down the road? Now we are comparing channeling fluid to transferring torque. NEXT.
...Ok...fair enough (but it is still a gear mesh, which you have previously stated needed lubricant with special qualities), but how about the aircraft engines with gear reduction for props? That is essentially a one-speed transmission built into a 300+ horsepower 4 cylinder air cooled pancake engines that are specifically designed to deliver torque...are you saying that these are poor designs even though they have been around almost as long as Harleys?

And then there are the sports bikes previously mentioned with performance demands way exceeding your typical HD...and they do just fine with engine oil...

I do not doubt that you are highly knowledgeable in what lubricant your transmissions require for optimum and reliable performance, but can you equally state that all Harley Davidson transmissions need special lubricants with the same certainty?

Last edited by skinman13; 08-21-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,859 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Mark, the most compelling argument might be that virtually all Japanese bikes use engine oil to lube the transmission. I ran a built, nitrous-injected Kawasaki for years, with regular dragstrip use, and never had any transmission problems. A buddy set 3 or 4 Maxton Mile records on various turbocharged Japanese bikes (250 to 350-ish horsepower), and these stock transmissions did fine too. Transmission output shaft torque and rear wheel torque on these would have been way over what just about any Harley can produce.

So what's up with Harley and Baker transmissions needing a special high-pressure lube? Are the tolerances and machining not as precise or something? Material quality or heat-treating not as good? Poorer design?

Edit: One of my friend's records was a 220 mph trap speed (from a standing start) on a 1000 cc licensed and legal street bike.
Way more torque then a Harley? What is a 650 like 40 pounds of torque at the rear wheel on a bike that is half the weight and have less then 1 degree shift dogs. How long these said bikes last? I see them in the junkyard all the time. I don't know that I have ever seen a Harley in a junkyard.I once again can not speak for Harley but our gears are 8620 steel, hobbed before heat treat. The shift forks are 4140 hard chrome plated. We do this because we want this to be the best transmission available so why on earth would we tell you to use anything but the best lube available.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skinman13
...Ok...fair enough (but it is still a gear mesh, which you have previously stated needed lubricant with special qualities), but how about the aircraft engines with gear reduction for props? That is essentially a one-speed transmission built into a 300+ horsepower 4 cylinder air cooled pancake engines that are specifically designed to deliver torque...are you saying that these are poor designs even though they have been around almost as long as Harleys?

And then there are the sports bikes previously mentioned with performance demands way exceeding your typical HD...and they do just fine with engine oil...

I do not doubt that you are highly knowledgeable in what lubricant your transmissions require for optimum and reliable performance, but can you equally state that all Harley Davidson transmissions need special lubricants with the same certainty?
The gear mesh you are speaking of with oil pumps and aircraft are what we like to call flintstone gears. The gear teeth are large, fat teeth that do not mesh with a tight tolerance similar to what Harley used up until 94 before they went to the high contact gears. High contact gears are more precision ground, tight fitting gears similar to sport bikes but with 4 degree undercut on the dog teeth to handle the low end torque required to move such a heavy bike.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Way more torque then a Harley? What is a 650 like 40 pounds of torque at the rear wheel ...
Absolutely not! You're confusing engine torque with rear-wheel torque.
A performance 650 engine will spin about twice as fast as a Harley engine. That means that to spin the rear wheel at the same speed, it can go through double the gear reduction, doubling the torque. So the bottom line is that this 650 will produce about the same rear-wheel torque as a stock 1600 cc Harley engine. In a much lighter bike. That's why they're faster. I wouldn't think this should need to be explained to a gearbox man.

However, my friend was running a 1000 cc class, turbocharged, and running up to 30 pounds boost. This would have put crankshaft torque at at least 160 lb-ft (way more than even most highly hotrodded Harley engines), and rear-wheel torque at about 4 times what a stock Harley can generate. Fed through a transmission lubricated with engine oil.

But when you combine torque and rpm like this, you get a measurement called horsepower. That's why horsepower is what's used as an indication of power, rather than torque. Torque alone tells you almost nothing about how fast an engine will move a vehicle. A thousand lb/ft of torque at zero rpm is zero horsepower.

How long these said bikes last? I see them in the junkyard all the time.
Really? Really??? You don't already know that Japanese bikes are some of the most long-lasting and reliable around???
I might be a Harley guy, but at least I don't need to deceive myself (or try to deceive anyone else) to do it.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-21-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Absolutely not! You're confusing engine torque with rear-wheel torque.
A performance 650 engine will spin about twice as fast as a Harley engine. That means that to spin the rear wheel at the same speed, it can go through double the gear reduction, doubling the torque. So the bottom line is that this 650 will produce about the same rear-wheel torque as a stock 1600 cc Harley engine. In a much lighter bike. That's why they're faster.

However, my friend was running a 1000 cc class, turbocharged, and running up to 30 pounds boost. This would have put crankshaft torque at at least 160 lb-ft (way more than even most highly hotrodded Harley engines), and rear-wheel torque at about 4 times what a stock Harley can generate.

But when you combine torque and rpm like this, you get a measurement called horsepower. That's why horsepower is what's used as an indication of power, rather than torque. Torque alone tells you almost nothing about how fast an engine will move a vehicle. A thousand lb/ft of torque at zero rpm is zero horsepower.

Really? Really??? You don't already know that Japanese bikes are some of the most long-lasting and reliable around???
I might be a Harley guy, but at least I don't need to deceive myself (or try to deceive anyone else) to do it.
Torque is the reason transmissions fail not horse power. I'm done, I hope somebody learned something because this guy doesn't want to. One question for you before I go. How much is Exxon( or whatever oil company is making Syn 3 this week) paying you.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Way more torque then a Harley? What is a 650 like 40 pounds of torque at the rear wheel
this is getting ugly.....

Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Torque is the reason transmissions fail not horse power.
Somewhat true, and as I mentioned, this 1000 cc engine was making about twice the crankshaft torque of a Harley.

One question for you before I go. How much is Exxon( or whatever oil company is making Syn 3 this week) paying you.
Nothing. Nor have I ever purchased or used Syn 3.
Nor do I sell any brand of lubricant. Don't you though?

Last edited by Warp Factor; 08-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like countless megalomaniacs throughout history, I prefer to use sweat from my minions. It's just a shame that it takes so long to get enough for all 3 holes, especially only collecting it from the females.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:20 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Racqueteer9
Like countless megalomaniacs throughout history, I prefer to use sweat from my minions. It's just a shame that it takes so long to get enough for all 3 holes, especially only collecting it from the females.
This is strangely funny.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
OR... THE HARLEY SCREAMING EAGLE synthetic in all three... done...
You do know that Harley Synthetic Oil is not a pure synthetic but a Blend of conventional and synthetic (like Quaker State Blended oils)

Mark, the most compelling argument might be that virtually all Japanese bikes use engine oil to lube the transmission. I ran a built, nitrous-injected Kawasaki for years, with regular dragstrip use, and never had any transmission problems. A buddy set 3 or 4 Maxton Mile records on various turbocharged Japanese bikes (250 to 350-ish horsepower), and these stock transmissions did fine too. Transmission output shaft torque and rear wheel torque on these would have been way over what just about any Harley can produce.

So what's up with Harley and Baker transmissions needing a special high-pressure lube? Are the tolerances and machining not as precise or something? Material quality or heat-treating not as good? Poorer design?

Edit: One of my friend's records was a 220 mph trap speed (from a standing start) on a 1000 cc licensed and legal street bike.
Engine oil in the V-Rods is also shared with the transmission with no real failures even with "built" high HP and TQ engines. I am running 154HP and 108 ft/lbs TQ and never had hint trans problems with over 38k miles

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL