Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmaninmb
You had me at Natty Light
Hahaha!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Ams is good oil, 20-50 in engine and primary and 75-110 severe gear in tranny.

I will gladly pay for Ams, our HD Stealership Charges over $16 with tax per Syn 3.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:21 PM
XFXDX
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a few hundred on some amsoil in the motor and primary. STOKED! I'll continue using it. Severe gear wasn't available last time, I'll use it next. Good stuff!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,011 Likes on 4,201 Posts

I only use prime rib t-rex in mine.. 100 animal protein.. none of that test tube babies or leaf filler for my bike.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How Much is the Blackstone test costing you each time you send in a sample?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:04 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmaninmb
Yes...well..no
I was going by bad memory, so I just went and looked at my oil receipts to refresh my memory on when I did the oil change. I actually only had the oil in for 15 months I was a little concerned that the time interval was pushing the limits, which is why I took a sample and sent it in for a used oil analysis.

We had recently moved, and work and kid schedule was nuts. Wife went to work before kids woke up, and got home from work after kids were home. That meant that I had to get them to school/daycare, and pick them up from school/daycare every day when I got off work. She also worked every other weekend. That meant very, very few opportunities to ride. About every other weekend I would do a 30-40 mile ride to keep everything flowing. Work and kid schedules have finally normaled up, so I'm planning on doing a little more riding these days...back and forth to work at a minimum. The road trips up the the mountains and what not, won't be happening for another 5+ years or so

I'm the kinda guy that leaves the fact checking to the scientists, which is why I will base my oil change intervals on lab results. I'm not gonna claim to know crap about oil, cuz I don't. But I believe what these people tell me, since they have more degrees and letters after their name than I do:

I could get the same result with Mobil 1. Also when you first change oil, it works great, shifts smoother, etc. Kinda like saying I removed my cat and wow what a difference, more power, etc.
In the aviation world alot of owners use Mobile 1 and lot's of mechanics say to stay away from Amsoil. So there you have it, it's all opinion.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpie
How Much is the Blackstone test costing you each time you send in a sample?
$25 to sample the oil, $10 additional if you want the TBN. IMO, a small investment for peace of mind, knowing whats going on with my fluids and motor.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:09 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

amsoil has been around for many years...and you still have to make an effort to find it. if it was really as good as some of you think, every quick-lube oil change place would offer it and all auto parts stores would have it. if it ever goes main stream and becomes readily available at wal-mart, advanced auto parts, etc., and the price comes down, i might give it a try.
as far as the guy spending $35 for oil tests---that money would be better spent on a baby sitter so he could go riding once in a while.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Inthespiral
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 AM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
amsoil has been around for many years...and you still have to make an effort to find it. if it was really as good as some of you think, every quick-lube oil change place would offer it and all auto parts stores would have it. if it ever goes main stream and becomes readily available at wal-mart, advanced auto parts, etc., and the price comes down, i might give it a try.
as far as the guy spending $35 for oil tests---that money would be better spent on a baby sitter so he could go riding once in a while.
Hi,
Hehehehehehehe, legend dan
Thanks
Mirrmu

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL