Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
reyesdeleon
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid

can I use pennzoil SAE 5W-50 FOR TRANNY

Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
dark_knite03
Intermediate

I would use some thing heavier alot heavier. Most will point you to Redline Shockproof. Personally i can't get it locally and use mobile 1 Full Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil.

However, if you search you can find more reading on the topic than you will care to see.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 AM
edeitert
Stage II
Default Trans AM GTA

Hi dude! I do remember the Trans AM GTA. Believe it or not I saw one the other day up here in the Boston area. Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Grendel4
I just changed my fluids yesterday. Went to Mobil 1 V-Twin, which I bought on sale at Advance Auto parts for $7.99 a quart. I understand you can get it at Walmart for $8.49 a quart every day. I used Mobil 1 75W-90 gear lube in the tranny. That was a little more spendy. I think it was $12.99 for the quart. Not sure. It kinda smells so don't spill it.

The capacities on these things is kinda weird. Mine took 2 1/2 quarts in the crankcase (do NOT overfill it), about 30 ounces in the primary and I dumped the whole quart in the tranny, so now it's over-filled just a tad. But I'm not gonna sweat that too much. I think it'll be okay. Just remember: MUCH, much easier to add than to take out.

Mobil 1 V-Twin is almost certainly a Group IV oil. Which means -- It kicks ****.

Technology is moving on. It will move on with you, or without you. It's your call.

Example: Are you old enough to remember the Trans Am GTA? With all the 'Boy Racer' horsey stuff and big motor and wings, and mag wheels. The 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA would do the 1/4 mile in 15.9 seconds.

A bone stock, 2009 Camry V6 grocery-getter, 4-Door, Grandma carryin', soccer-mom Toyota will do the quarter mile in 14.38 seconds.

Not fair, you say? Wanna go back to some old-fashioned muscle cars? How about the 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS-350? 15.4 seconds standing 1/4 mile.

I don't wanna hear about the 'good ol days'. Bull snot. Technology kicks ****. Period. Get with it or get left behind. It's all the same to technolgy. It doesn't care. I'm not a 'young' guy either. Not by a long shot.

And, oh yeah. I could feel the difference in the bike. Smoother. The shifting clunk didn't go away yet, but I'm not sure I care. I kinda dig it.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 569 Likes on 396 Posts

The bikes are air cooled.I've owned an ironhead sporty,a shovel and a tc............they all had oil coolers. Lockhart on the old bikes,a Jagg on the tc.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really, oil is oil. If you really abuse your bike, syn oil MIGHT be better. Otherwise dino is perfectly fine. You can change back and forth as you wish.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mentor70
just do a normal oil change and make the switch.

synth is just re-refined dino oils with a larger additive pack.

Not exactly true...Group III synthetics are petroleum base oils that are more refined to offer synthetic like properties.

Group IV and Group V synthetics are true synthetics. These base stocks are created in a lab and synthesied from oil, natural gas, coal, etc.
The molecules of synthesied oil are more uniform in size and can be "sized" by the lab for different applications.

The additive pack will be the same in a petroleum oil or a synthetic if it is an oil meeting the latest API rating/energy efficient rating. You just can't add any additional additive.

Amsoil and Brad Penn (the real Kendall) are my faves.
Brad Penn is just refined at the old Kendall refinery. It is not the old Kendall. The old Kendall ( and it is just that, old, I don't think you could duplicate the oil formula today because the additive package from back then is probably not available as it is not made any more. Remember, the API keeps advancing the quality rating.) name and most likely the formula is now owned by Conoco/Phillips.

Synthetics excell in 3 areas, extreme cold, extreme heat,and long drain.

You probably won't be using your bike in temps of -35. If you pull a trailer full of anvils thru Death Valley in August, you might be a canidate, or if you have long drain intervals, 7,500+ miles.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by mentor70
just do a normal oil change and make the switch.

synth is just re-refined dino oils with a larger additive pack.

Amsoil and Brad Penn (the real Kendall) are my faves.
Actually Amsoil, Mobil-1 and a couple of others are fully synthetic, not made from petroleum based products.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
coiledup
Tourer

Yeah ditto what he said, Go to red line .com and look at what they have to say. I use redline oils in my bike and will never look back. They make specific oils for the different areas of your bike, ie crankcase, tranny, and primary. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:16 PM
CKS
Cruiser
Default Motor Oil

This im sure has already been ask but I can't find it so I will ask again.
What do you think is the best oil for a 94 Dyna, AMSOIL or HD ?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:40 PM
DMV11982
Cruiser
Default Verifying Oil Change Info

I have browsed the forums and for the most part I am getting that for my 2009 Street Bob I need 2.5 Liters of Oil and .95L for my Primary and Transmission. Can someone verify this is correct. Also, I am thinking of switching from Syn-3 to Mobil 1 Synthetic..I can put that in all three boxes right?

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL