Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

..one more post on OIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
davidnewtonparr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by por2gezo
Okay Guys,

I just hit 15,000 miles and think its time to go synthetic !

Question: What do you all run or recommend ?

I have an 06 Street Bob with the 88, air cleaner and Rinehart 2 into 1 ....
Dude, have you been reading this thread? It looks like we are on our own when it comes to the decision on which oil to put in our own bikes. There is a plethora (yes I said plethora) of opinions on this and other threads, and one is just as vehement as the next. Here is my translation of reading through many different threads on oil. Looks like...

1. Synthetic or not... I believe in synthetic oil after breakin (jmo)
2. A decision needs to be made as to it is appropriate to run the same oil in all three holes. (imo, I agree with archergodwin on this one, I have decided to at least run a different transmission specific oil in the transmission)
3. Depending on where you live if you go with same in all three the choices are 20/40 or 20/50... looks like most go with 20/50.
4. If you go with three different oils it looks like engine=20/50 (as stated above); transmission=75/90 or 75/140 (the prevailing opinion seems to go with the 75/90); and the primary is open to even wider variation of opinions since the choices are 20/40 or 20/50 (if you believe in using the same oil in all three holes)... or 10/40 or 15/40.
5. As far as choosing a brand, there are basically too many opinions on this forum to make a decision based on any thread input. Many different people in several locations claim to have different experiences both positive and negative with all the brands, so...
6. It is imperative that we do our own research, and form our own opinion based on facts that we believe are pertinent to our own application.

This may seem off topic, but bear with me here. I am in the process of getting my motor rebuilt using HD's SE Pro Stage IV 103" kit. I have a good relationship with my dealer and find them reputable, stand-up guys. If I listened to all the opinions on this forum, I probably wouldn't be doing it this way, but for me, after much thought and debate, I have made the decsion to go this route. When the bike is done, we will use regular non-synthetic oil, break the bike in hard, change the oil after 100 miles still using non-synthetic oil, ride the new motor up to 1000 miles, switch to synthetic and get it tuned on a dyno. There are so many opinions on which build I should do, who should do it, how to break it in and which oil to use and when. Fact is, there is good info here, which enabled me to ask the right questions to the people doing the work, which in turn enabled me to make the appropriate decision for myself. It's my bike and I have to live with it.

So, to sum up my little speech, everybody here is probably right... They have these opinions because what they are doing works for them and they are happy with their decision. Do the research, but do the math too, and if it comes up as 2+2=4 and you are happy with that, go for it!

Peace

Old 05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what there is to 'break-in' on a Harley. The rings? They're seated about 20 seconds after the very first start up. Or -- Something's wrong.

Harley's dino oil also uses a large amount of ZDDP. Not sure why. Hasn't Harley used roller lifters for a long time? ZDDP is required in flat-tappet camshaft applications. Which is a reason to be very careful if you're running an old car with flat tappet cams. The EPA has forced most of the ZDDP out of modern dino oils. Seems it destroys catalytic converters. Darn. With synthetic -- It doesn't matter.

I know Harley has changed their Twin Cam engines twice now, so if I'm incorrect in any of my assumptions, I'd like to know.

At any rate, I'm going to follow the factory recommended break in procedure then go to Mobil 1 V Twin in the crankcase and primary. M1 75W-90 in the tranny.

Harley has a habit of keeping their manufacturing techniques and other data to themselves. Better safe than sorry, IMHO.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Redline makes outstanding primary and transmission oils which in my opinion are seperate animals from what you run in the engine. Most synthetics are about the same ... Mobile 1, Amsoil, Redline

Redline is hard to get and is more expensive. Definitly use the Redline Shockproof in your tranny.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Redline makes outstanding primary and transmission oils which in my opinion are seperate animals from what you run in the engine. Most synthetics are about the same ... Mobile 1, Amsoil, Redline

Redline is hard to get and is more expensive. Definitly use the Redline Shockproof in your tranny.
I understand the pre-2010 6-speeds havea 5th gear whine in them. In 2010, Harley decided to use a helical cut gear. Stopped the whine.

Brilliant.

I have also read where the Redline shockproof cuts down on the whine.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Bones77
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaron,

Agree with the cost issues you raise. 3 bills is a bit steep for an oil change. I pretty much agree with what DavidNewtonParr had to say. Mostly added my 2 cents to this thread to put it out there. I'd expect people to make their own decisions like you did. And, I consider those issues too. My FXDC has the hard cut 5th gear so I've got some whine at highway speed. Smooth shifting, finding neutral and loud clunking on shift no much of an issue for me. When my next oil change comes around I'll try to make the best decision for me and my bike.

One of the best arguments I've heard to running something like Mobil 1 is availablity. But that was back in the 70s when you might be a half quart down after a days ride and when finding a Harley dealer was not so easy. Motors don't leak anymore and most people are within an hour of one or more Harley dealers. So that argument isn't as important.

I think the decision you made on what to run in your bike is right on. Why? Your bike, your decision. Me, well I'm going to run HD products until the warrantly runs out and then reassess. If there is warrantly work I've not got the temperment to deal with the factory if they hassle me on what fluids I was running. I've heard of that happening.

Bones

Old 05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bones77
Jaron,

Agree with the cost issues you raise. 3 bills is a bit steep for an oil change. I pretty much agree with what DavidNewtonParr had to say. Mostly added my 2 cents to this thread to put it out there. I'd expect people to make their own decisions like you did. And, I consider those issues too. My FXDC has the hard cut 5th gear so I've got some whine at highway speed. Smooth shifting, finding neutral and loud clunking on shift no much of an issue for me. When my next oil change comes around I'll try to make the best decision for me and my bike.

One of the best arguments I've heard to running something like Mobil 1 is availablity. But that was back in the 70s when you might be a half quart down after a days ride and when finding a Harley dealer was not so easy. Motors don't leak anymore and most people are within an hour of one or more Harley dealers. So that argument isn't as important.

I think the decision you made on what to run in your bike is right on. Why? Your bike, your decision. Me, well I'm going to run HD products until the warrantly runs out and then reassess. If there is warrantly work I've not got the temperment to deal with the factory if they hassle me on what fluids I was running. I've heard of that happening.

Bones
Cool!! Works for me!!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by por2gezo
where does everybody buy their amsoil
6 month preferred customer is $10. I buy a case of 20/50, 3 qts. 10/40 and 3 qts. 75/90 at a time. That's 3 services for me, which is what I do in a year. Around $200 for amsoil vs/ $900 in what the dealer charges for 3 services.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:02 AM
seawoo
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny oil

What is everyone running in thier tranny? I am currently running 20w50 AMS.

Looking at replacing with 75w90 AMS, but heard even heavier is better.

Also heard (and hope it is BS) that Harley suugest not running syn. in the tranny..

Old 05-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Spectro HD 6-speed is one of the highly touted tranny lube's:

Attached Thumbnails ..one more post on OIL-spectro.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,331 Likes on 1,713 Posts

My ride has Red Line Shockproof in the tranny...

Quick Reply: ..one more post on OIL