Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn back to Dino oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 AM
ENCret.
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syn back to Dino oil

I ahve heard that once you use syn oil you should not go back to Dino oil is tis true and why? I have a 05 RKC 95 Inch HTCC heads and pistons. I used DINO oil and everything was good switched to Harley Syn and now engine is noisy.
&nbsp\\;I also have gear drive cams and roller rockers.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 AM
bear95252
Cruiser
Default RE: Syn back to Dino oil

The is absolutely not true. You can switch back and forth anytime you like without any ill effects however, there are a lot better synthetic oils than Syn3. You are far better off with a synthetic if you can find one that works for you do to their ability to withstand far more heat than a dino oil. There are many other reasons why synthetics are better, far to many to mention here.

My personal preference is AMSOIL 20W50 but Mobil 1 V Twin is also a good oil. Some folks like RedLine. They are all a better choice than Syn 3 that is made by Citgo and it is not a true synthetic. It is what is known as a Hydro Cracked oil. ( A petroleum oil that meets the purification standard of a synthetic but is still a petroleum oil.)

Good luck

Bear

Old 06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
ENCret.
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice i appreciate it

Old 06-20-2008, 05:48 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,392 Likes on 5,512 Posts

[hr]
You can switch all you want no problem.
try a real SNY oil sny3 is not one of the best oils it is ok but there are better.
Try M1 VTWIN or REDLINE any of the true 100% sny oils you may like it

Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

you can go back and fourth with no problems. i'm with you i tried syn oil and my motor made so much noise, i went back to the dino oil. i change mine every 2500 miles and my motor seems like it never gets over 190 as far as temp goes.and i have always used it in five harley's and it has always worked great. i know some day i may go syn. but i dont really see the need.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:20 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 08 96 was loud like a sewing machine w syn (royal purple-red line or mobile) so I went to dino 60 wt which ran great on the hwy but was a little hot in trafic so I switched back to RP and added 30% lucas oil stabilizer and now Im cool AND quiet

Old 07-06-2008, 07:25 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: arnold

My 08 96 was loud like a sewing machine w syn (royal purple-red line or mobile) so I went to dino 60 wt which ran great on the hwy but was a little hot in trafic so I switched back to RP and added 30% lucas oil stabilizer and now Im cool AND quiet
&nbsp\\;
Dude: You need to check out that Lucas because all it does is dilute your additive package on your RP. There are almost no additives in Lucas.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:31 AM
arnold
Road Master

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

ORIGINAL: arnold

My 08 96 was loud like a sewing machine w syn (royal purple-red line or mobile) so I went to dino 60 wt which ran great on the hwy but was a little hot in traffic so I switched back to RP and added 30% Lucas oil stabilizer and now I’m cool AND quiet
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Dude: You need to check out that Lucas because all it does is dilute your additive package on your RP. There are almost no additives in Lucas.
I have no problem diluting it at all, I could use Lucas syn stabilizer but dino works very well for me. Between the RP and the fuel management the scoot runs way cool and is quiet as well. If it were that important to me I could add supplements, but it is doing fine the way it is, RP don’t say nuthin bout MC on it either, $6.50 qt. I don’t know the viscosity of the Lucas but I suspect it raises it a bit and that’s fine too.

Red Line’s new Engine Oil Break-In Additive (Part #81403, MSRP $12.95) provides conventional motor oils with antiwear additives like zinc and phosphorus (ZDDP) necessary to protect against camshaft and valvetrain damage on break-in.

This is especially important in flat-tappet engines where bigger camshafts grinds and higher valve spring pressures are now popular. This additive is designed to allow pistons rings to seat properly, while allowing other engines components to avoid excessive wear.

A 16oz bottle treats up to 12 quarts of motor oil, so in many cases one bottle can serve two different engines. This product can also be used in conventional and synthetic oils during regular operation, providing an extra package of protection otherwise not found in most motor oils.

If I were concerned about the additive package, which Im not

Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

after looking at this site I wouldn't use lucas additives in anything I own http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
arnold
Road Master

I have never seen any oil do that, additives or not, but Ill tell you what, I will run the **** out of my bike for a few min right before I change my oil next time, and if it looks anything like that at all I promise I wont ever use it again.
ANY ONE ever use Lucas and see anything like this when you change your oil? Anyone?
I got a wonder if this guy is selling other products? So we HAVE to have additives in our oil, just simple oil will obviously ruin my moter by that comparison. Mind you I much prefer additives but Im thinking the other 2 qts provide ample amounts.
I will gladly stand corrected if I EVER see anything anything like that come out of my motor or if there is lots more evidence.
I certainly dont claim to be the know all of oil but I have never seen anything like that.
Any one else think this is credible?
&nbsp\\;
A short "google" produces pros n cons, more positives than negs, but maybe they are good salesmen.
&nbsp\\;
http://tomsreviews.com/wordpress/wp-...stabilizer.pdf
&nbsp\\;
according to this there are some additives at least.

Quick Reply: Syn back to Dino oil