Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Syn back to Dino oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 05:21 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Syn back to Dino oil

I just looked at the site Arnold has in his post, they make alot of claims that there are no way to prove. How do you check to see if oil is clinging to the inside of your motor without disassembly? or your transmission? just about any oil will leave a film when it comes in contact with metals so how does it cling better? when you pay almost $10 a qt for a prememium oil I don't think you'll need any additve thats not already in it. Theres a old saying in the fishing world it goes, some lures were designed to catch fish, some were made to catch fishermen.,,

Old 07-06-2008, 08:20 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: big cahuna

I just looked at the site Arnold has in his post, they make alot of claims that there are no way to prove. How do you check to see if oil is clinging to the inside of your motor without disassembly? or your transmission? just about any oil will leave a film when it comes in contact with metals so how does it cling better? when you pay almost $10 a qt for a prememium oil I don't think you'll need any additve thats not already in it. Theres a old saying in the fishing world it goes, some lures were designed to catch fish, some were made to catch fishermen.,,
I agree actually, same as Amsoil claims, RP, Red Line etc..., while I trust those products there is no way I can verify the claims other than by doing a lot of reaearch or testing which Im not interested or capable of. I do Know that my bike runs cooler and doesnt make the afore mentioned racket with this blend and thats cool with me. As far as the foaming claims, my last oil change had 2 qt of Valvoline straight 60 wt and one qt Lucas, and when I changed the oil I saw no signs of anything that even remotely resembled foaming or "light" colored oil. it just looked like relatively clean oil at 2500 or 3000, I cant remember which.
I would be interested in any more substantiated proof or Lucas foaming, I have seen it mentioned but no proof other than the "wheel" test and I put about as much faith in that as I do the wheel test Lucas has sitting on the counter on most parts stores that carry it, I wonder why THEIR wheel setup isnt a foamy looking mess? Obviously those two tests, while similar, are designed to promote the idea being put forth, one positive one negative.
Interesting discusion never the less.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Vinny133
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running Mobil 1 V-Twin and yes, my motor is noisier but the protection it provides is worth it.
Thats the trade off.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Been using Mobil V Twin syn after break in w/ HD dino&nbsp\\;and can't distinguish any difference in motor noise. Done this on several bikes, always the same. You guys must have sime kind of special bionic hearing. Also run Mobil syn 80/90 in the tranny - spendy and I think it's overkill. Will probably switch back to dino 80/90 when the Mobil is gone. Also heard one guy claim his glide motor shook less at idle w/dino. No reflection on you guys with the good ears but I do have to call BS on that one.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That you either cant tell the dif or your bike runs quiet with syn does not make it BS, it’s a pretty common result that running syn in most HD results in a louder running machine. Good for you that isn’t an issue with yours or you have hearing loss so it doesn’t bother you, but its not BS.