Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Oil cobwebs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 03:27 AM
Johnny B Good
|
Cruiser
Default Oil cobwebs

Okay, I have read through these postings on oil and just seem more confused than before I started. Everybody seems to have diff. ideas , brands on what to put where. I feel like I'm in a closed room and everybody talking at the same time. Kind'a like talking to my wife and daughter when their at the kitchen table.
I assume I'm close on this and want to be clear.
Crank Case: Mobile 1 20/50 motor oil ????????
Primary: Mobile 1 20/50 motor oil ????????
Trans. This one i have seen a mixture of diff. ideas. In one letter i saw 75/90 gear lube. (?) Others I have show Transmission fluid. In the automotive world, gear lube is for manuel transmissions and Trans. fluid is for automatics.
Could someone please put a simple definition on what to use & Where to use it. "Sorry but no thats not a loaded question"

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:49 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Default RE: Oil cobwebs

MAKE SURE IT IS V-TWIN 20W50 AND NOT CAR OIL. aMSOIL IS BETTER BUT YOU HAVE IT RIGHT. 75-90 GEAR OIL OR JUST USE HARLEYS. THE PRIMARY CAN ALWAYS TAKE THE SAME AS ENGINE OIL

Old 03-03-2006 | 09:21 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

MAKE SURE IT IS V-TWIN 20W50 AND NOT CAR OIL. aMSOIL IS BETTER BUT YOU HAVE IT RIGHT
Johnny B Good is saying he's confused here and you answer to use Mobil 1 "BUT AMSOIL IS BETTER' Here we go again with confusing him some more. Another thread that will scramble his brain even more than it is now.

Acording to the Amsoil sites , Amsoil is better and according to a few that SELL Amsoil, it's better. Wait a minute here, we forgot the Amsoil.com link here.....Choose what ever oil you like.

ME? I run Mobil 1 V Twin Redline shockproof heavy in the trans and HD primary in the primary and I don't sell it either.

Old 03-03-2006 | 01:23 PM
itsahog
Cruiser

Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 in the crank

Either Mobile 1 75-90 gear lube or Redline Shockproof in tranny

HD Primary in primary

This combination seems to be the preferred by most here as I have read and asked many times. Amsoil is also a good choice I am sure. I use mobil 1 as it is usually more available off the shelf if you need it in a hurry or on the road. Remember that HD does no longer recommend Syn 3 in the new trannys. If you do nothing else, I would remove Syn 3 from the tranny. Hope this helps. TCSTD offers good advice based on experience and not profits. Keep that in mind..........

Old 03-04-2006 | 01:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: itsahog

Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 in the crank

Either Mobile 1 75-90 gear lube or Redline Shockproof in tranny

HD Primary in primary

This combination seems to be the preferred by most here as I have read and asked many times. Amsoil is also a good choice I am sure. I use mobil 1 as it is usually more available off the shelf if you need it in a hurry or on the road. Remember that HD does no longer recommend Syn 3 in the new trannys. If you do nothing else, I would remove Syn 3 from the tranny. Hope this helps. TCSTD offers good advice based on experience and not profits. Keep that in mind..........
This is good advice[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 03-04-2006 | 12:42 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Ok, this is my take on things,

For the engine and gearbox use synthetic oils, use a true synthetic in the engine if you can get it, and use an oil which meets or exceeds HD's specs. Use a transmission oil in the tranny (sorry used UK term gearbox earlier), why anyone would want to use a non specific oil in a machine with a seperate tranny is beyond me.

As far as the primary goes, use whatever 20w-50 oil or similar that you like but bear in mind your clutch basket is running in it, so an oil suitable for any wet clutch motorcycle will do.

Me I use Redline stuff because it hits all the specs I require and its available to me.

Engine 20w-50
Primary MTL
Gears shockproof heavy

I change the engine oil at 5000 and the other two at 7500. I always change the filter at the same time, and I use the new HD premium filters because they should work with the bike and I really cant be arsed to do the same amount of research on filters that I did with oils, life is just too short.

Dont sweat the oil thing, use what you are happy with, and remember your riding style will have a much bigger effect on how well your engine and other components last than the minute differences between quality synthetic oils.

Of course this is just my take on all things slippery, which dont make it right, but of course I think I am, which is half the battle.

Hope that helps more than it hinders, and for what its worth TCSTD give some pretty good unbiased advice, base on what I have seen him write in these forums, and you would probably not go far wrong if you followed it.

WB

Old 03-04-2006 | 10:36 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Johnny B Good

Okay, I have read through these postings on oil and just seem more confused than before I started. Everybody seems to have diff. ideas , brands on what to put where. I feel like I'm in a closed room and everybody talking at the same time. Kind'a like talking to my wife and daughter when their at the kitchen table.
I assume I'm close on this and want to be clear.
Crank Case: Mobile 1 20/50 motor oil ????????
Primary: Mobile 1 20/50 motor oil ????????
Trans. This one i have seen a mixture of diff. ideas. In one letter i saw 75/90 gear lube. (?) Others I have show Transmission fluid. In the automotive world, gear lube is for manuel transmissions and Trans. fluid is for automatics.
Could someone please put a simple definition on what to use & Where to use it. "Sorry but no thats not a loaded question"
Johnny B. - What bike we talkin' here? And how many miles?

And just to corn-fuze you more, there are some autos with manual trannies that use ATF, instead of regular gear lube.

Big Twin - My bike - Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil in the engine, Mobil 1 75w-90 gear lube in the tranny, ATF in the primary. Change oil every 2500 - 3000 miles. For me, there isn't enough difference in the Mobil 1 car oil & V-twin oil to justify the price difference. I had 'em analyzed.

If your bike is still in warranty, what TC sed - M1 V-twin for engine, Redline for tranny, HD primary juice in primary.

Old 03-07-2006 | 02:40 AM
Johnny B Good
|
Cruiser

Okay , Thanks everybody. I got it straight now. Before if I had gone shopping for oil and fluid, I would have looked like I do if I have to get groceries and stand there reading the list the wife gave me. By the way the bike is a '99 FLHTCUI with about 22K