Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 PM
mjgord51
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No boys and girls here, no need to talk to us like children, no one appointed you as moderator or referee.

It is just a spirited discussion, so take a break and leave me and 60Gunner have some fun...

It happens here so get used to it.
Wow grow up dude it was just used as a Metaphor that's all. As far as having fun I myself had stopped having fun when I stopped playing in the sand box's from Kindergarten. Don't get your panties up in a bunch boys and girls "get used to it"

just having some fun.......

Last edited by mjgord51; 03-03-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:05 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Some people are missing what manuals intent is. If you actually leave home, and need oil, and are not eating s hotdog at your favorite dealer, use diesel oil. What is is so yough?

Old 03-04-2020, 05:43 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

My ex's girlfriend's grandfather was always flat broke, and his son drove a truck. So he ran 15W40 Rotella that his son would bring home from work in his 80" Ultra. When we broke up about 10 years ago that bike was over 100k miles, and he's still riding it although I don't know if the motor's been rebuilt. But it at least made it to 100k with Rotella. He bought the bike new back before he quit working and could afford it.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:55 AM
tonyd2017
Road Master
Received 435 Likes on 240 Posts
Default yes

Yes it can be used. If the (wrong) oil is the only oil I have, I put it in an engine. Any oil is better than no oil. In a pinch.

Last edited by tonyd2017; 03-04-2020 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM
mjgord51
Tourer

Originally Posted by tonyd2017
Yes it can be used. If the (wrong) oil is the only oil I have, I put it in an engine. Any oil is better than no oil. In a pinch.

If you run low of oil and in a pinch have to get something else "Diesel oil" I would think the stores shelf that has that diesel oil will most likely have Conventional/Synthetic oil as well to sell, maybe I'm wrong but I'll go out on a limb here every where I have found Synthetic or Conventional Diesel usually is also on that shelf so why in the first place is everyone/some putting in Diesel oil. The roads I have traveled on don't specifically cater to long haul truckers which are the primary users of diesel Oil.

Maybe this thread should have leaned towards Why in the first place if a rider/owner of a bike that knows (as he/she should) the bike uses oil (which they all do to a degree) why isn't he/she carrying the proper oil extra for the bike in the first place. Running low on oil is like running low on gas/fuel and that's just dumb, not that hard to carry an extra qt. of Dino/Syn oil..... just my 0.02 on the matter!

Old 03-04-2020, 09:59 AM
mjgord51
Tourer

Originally Posted by tonyd2017
Sorry but not to rude on the matter here where is it that this Diesel Oil is the only oil being sold. . . this one I have a hard time wrapping my head around.

Old 03-04-2020, 02:39 PM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by mjgord51
Sorry but not to rude on the matter here where is it that this Diesel Oil is the only oil being sold. . . this one I have a hard time wrapping my head around.
Why do you care so much?

Old 03-04-2020, 05:43 PM
mjgord51
Tourer

Originally Posted by crazytown
Why do you care so much?
Why do you care to care to post why do you (I) care so much.......

Old 03-04-2020, 07:05 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

Where's alarmguy when u need him.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:41 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by mjgord51
If you run low of oil and in a pinch have to get something else "Diesel oil" I would think the stores shelf that has that diesel oil will most likely have Conventional/Synthetic oil as well to sell, maybe I'm wrong but I'll go out on a limb here every where I have found Synthetic or Conventional Diesel usually is also on that shelf so why in the first place is everyone/some putting in Diesel oil. The roads I have traveled on don't specifically cater to long haul truckers which are the primary users of diesel Oil.

Maybe this thread should have leaned towards Why in the first place if a rider/owner of a bike that knows (as he/she should) the bike uses oil (which they all do to a degree) why isn't he/she carrying the proper oil extra for the bike in the first place. Running low on oil is like running low on gas/fuel and that's just dumb, not that hard to carry an extra qt. of Dino/Syn oil..... just my 0.02 on the matter!
to me the question is, why do they recommend diesel over those other oil.

Quick Reply: Can heavy-duty diesel oil be used in motorcycles?