Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:53 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?Product=94

Old 05-30-2008, 12:05 PM
chevdude
Road Captain
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

4.59 at NAPA

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 PM
bear95252
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

You should read all the bullets in their ad. The very last one says "Not for use in Wet Clutch Applications". Be careful!! Bell Helmets use to have a saying. "If you have a Ten Dollar Head, buy a Ten Dollar Helmet"

Bear

Old 05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
chevdude
Road Captain

Well it's one of the best oils you can buy. Minus all the hype! The only problem is the low detergent may be suited for oil changes after each race as opposed to 3k miles?

Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 PM
chevdude
Road Captain

Well it's one of the best oils you can buy. Minus all the hype! The only problem is the low detergent may be suited for oil changes after each race as opposed to 3k miles?

If it's not being used in the primary. What's the problem?

Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So use it Then

Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 PM
twiceretired
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I'll assume that by "Bomb", you don't mean that it will blow your motor up?
Sorry, couldn't resist. Zinc is generally a boundry lubricant, used to protect when the hydro properties of the oil are no longer present: shock loading, cold starts etc.
If you do some searching, you'll find that even Amsoil (which I do not use)has more zinc and phospherous than this one you're mentioning. And then my question is this: Why would you use a "conventional racing oil" when there are so many fine synthetics out there doing a better job?

Old 05-31-2008, 03:18 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Hey twice,

For a lot of reasons really. I guess it's thehot rodderin me. Bang for the buck! I run Delo in the Chevelle. Poor mans racing oil. 2 bucks versus 10 bucks!

1 The HD service manual recommends fleet oil in a pinch.
2 Would like something I could get at the local auto parts.
3 Not a huge fan of syns. I know of many in the turbo crowd that prefer the fleet oils over syns
4 Fleet oils have the new lower zink CJ rating. Not good! Motorcycles and racing oils don't have to adhere.
5I'm a big fan of changing the oil regularly.
6 I've heard many complaints about increased engine noise with syns

......butI am leaning towards Mobil 1 V twin, or Valvoline VR1 20/50 dino.I changed my mind of the Valvoline 20/50 race (not street legal). It's low detergent and needs to be changed often.

You don't have any data on the HD dino? Do ya?
[/align]

Old 05-31-2008, 08:04 AM
lecomte38
Tourer

I never had any luck with Valvoline. Every motor I put it in starts to use oil; change it and it stops.????
second thought: I don't believe in trying to save money on my motor oil. -Mobil 1-v twin 20/50 for me.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

If you go to the amsoil web site they are always pushin their test specs for the most popular oils out there, to PROVE their oil is better. Harley oil will meet Harleys requirement for whats acceptable in their motors.Lots of people use it, and lots use whats percived as top shelp synthetic oils. With the higher temps a twin cam will run at from the factory, all syn oils claim to help lower those temps and will flow faster when used in the cold temps. As far as more noise with the syn oil, all I can say is my bike has more ticking , tapping, and clicks with syn oil over dino oil ,but runs fine. And oil pressure when hot is slightly higher then dino oil. Either one will do the job its just how much do you want to pay and is it worth it to you?.,,,

Quick Reply: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent