Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

ORIGINAL: Cagetender

I read&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;from some Harley oriented website that you need an oil that prevents "roller bearing skate in Harley Motors" . The Harley 360 as a certain amount of stickiness that avoids this phenomenon They said that the syn3 was formulated for the Vrod that has plane bearings . Apparently roller bearing skate happens when the bearing and the moving part only enjoy part time contact and subsequently causes flat spots leading to premature failure of parts involved.So all this talk about this oil and that would be missing the point if it was true. I guess Father Harley knows best.
No.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; No!!!!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Bearing skate!!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Part time contact!!!!&nbsp\\; Utter BS, spewed by someone who knows nothing of lubrication.&nbsp\\; If I have an oil film between two parts moving in relationship with each other, there is no contact (part- or full-time) between the metal, and no wear.&nbsp\\; If you have any contact between the moving parts, even for a millisecond, you have trashed the parts.&nbsp\\; That contact can only happen when there is no oil film.

Whatever site told you about bearing skate caused by oil is full of crap.&nbsp\\; And the author of the statement is full of crap.&nbsp\\; Did they say something about the oil being "too slippery"?&nbsp\\; Wish I could find an oil that was so slippery there was no friction.&nbsp\\; Then there'd be no wear, and my stuff would last forever!

[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Will this synthetic oil and bearing skate myth never die?

Syn3 was developed for HD so they could start selling it and making a bigger profit.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 PM
twiceretired
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

Seriously Skip, stop beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Can't.&nbsp\\; Ain't allowed to.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could post

Old 06-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems to me the Harley is set up 3 ways.&nbsp\\; Each hole can be maximized.

1. The seperate, air cooled, engine. Want the very best "engine" oil. Amsoil or Redline use better bases so I use these. 20-60 in the summer. In a pinch a Syn. Diesel oil has a better additive package, for the engine only though.

2. The transmission.&nbsp\\; wants EP gear oil, 90 to 140 wt. I use Redline shock heavy for Harleys.

3. The Primary. All these,&nbsp\\;1 for 3 holes, I don't like cause the&nbsp\\;here is the Wet Clutch. There are lubes made just for this area that are probably better than compromises. Red Line makes one just for this. Both engine oils and transmission oils possibily could make the clutch slip.
&nbsp\\;
My 2 cents.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
TheEdge
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line is that as long as you CHANGE your oil and filter regularly, you can put any kind of diesle grade oil in your bike....I persoanlly run 20-50 Mobile 1 V-twin oil...did some research on it, and Mobile 1 comes out as one of the top oils.&nbsp\\; I use it is ll my cars, trucks, and equipment and it has never failed any parts.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Seems like everyone has a opinion about oil, you know the saying....everyone has one and they all stink??&nbsp\\; Same thing about oil...pick one, stick with it, and change it regularly.&nbsp\\; BTW my understanding about HD oils, is they basically bid that out to the lowest bidder and said make me some oil.&nbsp\\; Not the best oil out there, so if the crapola they are selling is good enough for your bike, my bet is so is all the other oils out there.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with most that this might not be a good choice for a street bike. Mobil 1 15w50 is even cheaper (Wal-Mart), is a good choice for a Harley, and is a full-synthetic.