Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

If your motorcycle is air cooled you want an oil that will handle 300F temps and not break down. The flash point on that oil is not impressive and the TBN is way too low (<6). No way I would use that oil. That oil is not meant for a loose toleranceair cooled engine street driven withfuel dilution and lots of corrosives.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:38 PM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

If your motorcycle is air cooled you want an oil that will handle 300F temps and not break down. The flash point on that oil is not impressive and the TBN is way too low (<6). No way I would use that oil. That oil is not meant for a loose toleranceair cooled engine street driven withfuel dilution and lots of corrosives.
Good info! I already gave up on that oil. I knew there were some people on this board with smartsand something to add!

I'll probably end up going with the Mobil 1 V twin. What do you run? Any good over the counter dino? What about the Delo? I'm currently running HD dino.

Thanks

Old 05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
twiceretired
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choising your oil is sometimes a long a difficult process. Seems that once a guy decides on one, it's the best, and everyone should be using that one. I chose by using several criteria. I searched out all I could for what made sense to me as a best type. That was a PAO synthetic. I also used a lab for UOA, and my gut (feel of the bike and sound of the motor, tranny and primary). Also went out with a heat gun and oil temp gauge and did some tests. After much 'analizing', with emphasis on ****, I chose what suited me, and my bike, best. I even considered the time/mileage between changes, thinking that the longer I could go SAFELY, the better I might be on the environment (less used oil in the system). Hey, I already admitted the **** part.
Sounds like you're on your own journey, and I wish you luck with that one.
Frank

Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: chevdude

Good info! I already gave up on that oil. I knew there were some people on this board with smartsand something to add!

I'll probably end up going with the Mobil 1 V twin. What do you run? Any good over the counter dino? What about the Delo? I'm currently running HD dino.

Thanks
Delo is 40 weight on the top, right? Summer time you need to be running a 50 weight. Delo is fine in a pinch, and would make a great cool weather oil.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:54 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: chevdude

Thanks
Delo is 40 weight on the top, right? Summer time you need to be running a 50 weight. Delo is fine in a pinch, and would make a great cool weather oil.
Yea 40 is the top. That's what I run in the Chevelle.The HD service manual says to run fleet oils if you can'tfind HD oil. The additive package looks pretty comparable to silver cap. At 2 bucks a quart, it's not a bad deal! I wonder if the weight difference really matters?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have run Kendall dino 20w50 for several years now, but I have also used Havoline, Pennzoil, Valvoline and HD, in that reverse order, and all were dino oil. My Evo has over 130,000 miles on it, and still uses no noticeable amount of oil before changing at 2500 miles. I think Kendall is now $2.59 a quart, up a dollar from when I started using it.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever try Mobil Delvac 1300?? Meets and well exceeds HD req. Dino diesel oil with probably the best additive pkg. available.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlockHead96

Ever try Mobil Delvac 1300?? Meets and well exceeds HD req. Dino diesel oil with probably the best additive pkg. available.
Is it available in 15w- or 20w-50?&nbsp\\; If it's only a -40 at the top, then it doesn't meet HDs requirements above a certain temperature, except as a temporary solution.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:10 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

you put in cheap oil and you get cheap results amsoil all 3 holes or redline in the tranny

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Cagetender
Intermediate

I read&nbsp\\;from some Harley oriented website that you need an oil that prevents "roller bearing skate in Harley Motors" . The Harley 360 as a certain amount of stickiness that avoids this phenomenon They said that the syn3 was formulated for the Vrod that has plane bearings . Apparently roller bearing skate happens when the bearing and the moving part only enjoy part time contact and subsequently causes flat spots leading to premature failure of parts involved.So all this talk about this oil and that would be missing the point if it was true. I guess Father Harley knows best.

Quick Reply: This might the bomb oil. Cheap with high zink and the right amount of detergent