Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Help! I have no crankcase oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! I have no crankcase oil?

You have three oil reservoirs; the oil tank (for the engine), the tranny, and the primary housing (It is the one that holds about a quart). I would think the tranny holds a bit lesss than a quart and the oil tank 3 or 4 quarts. Are you sure about which one you are checking.???

Old 03-13-2005, 11:42 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

The crank bearings & rod ends get plenty of oil. The oil just doesn't stay in the crankcase as it does on other bikes that are wet sump.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:02 PM
hawk
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a primary chain

Old 03-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

The primary chaincase only holds 1 quart. With the bike upright, and the clutch inspection cover off, the lubricant level should be just below the clutch basket. You can see the starter jackshaft at the top of the gear behind the clutch. There is no pressure there, so no guage. Either the starter jackshaft seized and it's making the noise, or the primary chain adjuster came loose. Take off the primary chain inspection cover, (in the middle of the outer primary) and take a look. The adjuster will be right in front of you with the cover off, and you can see if the bolt is loose. Do not ride the bike with a loose chain, it can rap into the outer primary, and then you are looking at 4 hours plus about $500.00 in parts. You will need a torx 27 to get the covers off.

If you are not comfortable, use the towing service provided by HOG. If you are not a member, now is the time.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:18 PM
FLHSbob
Cruiser

Could the noise be a loose compensting nut? Haven't had it happen personely, but have heard of it ocurring.

Bob

Old 03-14-2005, 11:33 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Scout is right.

I just did my 1000 mile service, so I've been reading and learning...either way, your primary only holds 1 quart and that's by the manual. So if you drained the primary and got out about a quart, you got the right amount.

Mac

Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

And this thread shows how terminology is important when troubleshooting on the internet.

Crankcase = engine cases where the flywheels are. Dry sump on an HD; no oil "stored" here.

Chain case = Primary = where the primary chain, clutch assembly, engine sprocket are located. Holds about 1 quart.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
mchaous
Cruiser

Actually, the primary holds about 1 1/3 quarts of oil. Primary oil. The problem was the chain was loose. The adjustment shoe was completly warn out. This had loosen the chain so it would bump up against the primary case. I have experience in working with cars and other areas. Never worked on a bike and I wanted to learn. I have a desire in my later life to change careers.

So yesterday I took the day off and pulled the primary cover and diagnois the problem, got the part. All it needed was a new adjustment shoe, looks more like a sled to me. The gears and primary chain looked OK. So I intalled the shoe buttoned it up put oil in and she is running fine. Don't like the fact that the guy I purchased it from didn't have much oil in the primary. He didn't have oil in the main tank as well. But that is another story.

Thanks to all that replied to my cry for help.

Old 03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm glad you got it fixed!

Old 03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
hawk
Road Master

Well said scout
ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

The primary chaincase only holds 1 quart. With the bike upright, and the clutch inspection cover off, the lubricant level should be just below the clutch basket. You can see the starter jackshaft at the top of the gear behind the clutch. There is no pressure there, so no guage. Either the starter jackshaft seized and it's making the noise, or the primary chain adjuster came loose. Take off the primary chain inspection cover, (in the middle of the outer primary) and take a look. The adjuster will be right in front of you with the cover off, and you can see if the bolt is loose. Do not ride the bike with a loose chain, it can rap into the outer primary, and then you are looking at 4 hours plus about $500.00 in parts. You will need a torx 27 to get the covers off.

If you are not comfortable, use the towing service provided by HOG. If you are not a member, now is the time.

Quick Reply: Help! I have no crankcase oil?