Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Blue smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: Blue smoke at startup

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Generally this is caused from oil leaking down the intake guide. Guide loose or valve seal shot. Choking will reduce air coming in from normal source and engine vacume will try to pick up some oil and air from the intake guide. Simple test for valve seals is to rev the engine up and crack throttle closed. If it smokes within a few seconds of this it's the intake valve seals. If it smokes on a heavy decel, same ****. Exhaust guides generally create no problem, and back pressure in the system has the opposite effect and oil is not sucked out of the guide. A small amount may trickle down when engine is shut off, but it is really small amount. Plugs will show black crusty deposites if intake guide and seal are shot, eventually.
Ron
+1. My Evo did that for a long time, only happened on decel. It was barely noticable for about 15k until one day it was smoking like a 2 stroke, when I pulled the exhaust down there was a trail of oil stain from the ex valve guide. My case I was on it one day and missed a shift and it reved about 7k (thanks to se 8k ign module), I would venture to say you may have this type of problem.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Curly61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok guys the verdict is in . Apparently I must have overfilled it because now there is absolutely no smoke at startup at all . I have been watching the dipstick and it is between the marks and looks good whether hot or cold . Thanks for all your input . I did not think I could have a top end problem at 20 k especially since oil has been changed every 3 k and all maintenance performed by previous owner .

Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM
rlyons
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Curly61

I just installed a brand new big sucker kit on it about three weeks ago . So I know its fine . I am thinking it may be overfilled because I was not sure when I put the oil in I used 3 1/2 quarts because i checked it cold . I have heard some say just use three quarts only . I will ride it over the weekend and see what it does . Thanks
Did this install happen to include a reusable air filter that is cleaned and oiled? If so it may have been oil sucked in off the filter??

Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

1999-2000 Twin Cam had the cam bolt recall. Make sure this has been performed! I have spoken to several people that bought early Twin Cam low mileage bikes that had no idea of a recall.

Also, consider having the cam chain tensioners inspected.....this is a known issue and is extremely common.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might be wrong nut i thought blowing blue smoke was a valve problem ??