Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

Puking problems! ! ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
cycleeric
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puking problems! ! ! ! !

We've got a 1998 Flhtcu that is puking oil thru the breather bolts into the breather. We did some diagnostic checking and pulled the pressure sending unit and it has pressure. Next we pulled the rocker boxes to check flow to the top end and started it with the box top off and oil pours from the pushrod tube like a garden hose filling the rocker boxes in just a few seconds. Have any of you seen a similar problem and what was causing it?

Any help would be appreicated

Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
hounddog
Tourer
Default RE: Puking problems! ! ! ! !

ISNT OIL SUPPOSED TO BE PUMPED UP THE PUSHRODS THATS HOW THE TOP END GETS OIL THEN IT DRAINS BACK DOWN? MAYBE CHECK AND REPLACE THE EMBRELLA VALVE THAT SHOULD DO IT, AND I SEEN WHERE GUYS DRILL OUT THE DRAIN HOLE A LIL BIT BIGGER TO HELP GET THE OIL BACK DOWN TO THE CRANK AND NOT OUT THE BREATHER BOLTS.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=WTFsgign.gif] oil delivered UP the push rod tubes?????

Old 05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
cycleeric
Stage II

Yes, the oil is being pumped up the tube and in the pushrod as well. With the rocker box top off it looks as if there is a garden hose attached to the tappet block and oil is flowing out of the tube itself and flowing into the box. There is oil squirting out the rocker arm hole as it should be but there is not reason why there is this much oil coming from the tube. We've pulled the return line to the tank to check for clogs and there is oil there and a little bit of pressure which is normal. Pulled the cam cover to see if the breather gear and pump drive gears are in working order and all seems to check out fine. We've been in this industry for 20 years and I've never seen an EVO doing this.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a wild one, you say the return has a little bit of pressure, the scavenging side of the oil pump should push as much or more oil than the pumping side. Is it possible you'vesheared the key on the shaft and it's not scavenging? The only way I know it would pump thru the P rod tube(s) is if your cam cavity is filling with oil and forcing it up thru the lifters. Not likely, but you never know.

I agree, I've never seen that on any HD engine. Good luck, keep me posted and I'll try to be of help.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

if you check the manual and follow the oil supply route it is pumped up the tubes and the return is towards the front of the head. Is the motor stock? I've only had oil in my evos air filter after I put a ev-27 cam in and se filter .,,