Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I want to switch to an Indy, as it inconvenient for me to go to the Harley dealers, and I seem to get some inexperienced tech half the time, anyway. I am hesitant because all the Indy's use Drag Specialty filters. They are made in Taiwan.

Anybody know if they are any good? I also like the way my bike runs on Mobil 1 Vtwin 20-50, but both Indy's recommend Drag Specialties oil. I changed the oil to the Mobil1, when the DS oil had 2,500 miles on it. I can see why people work on their own bikes and do whatever they want.

The last Indy I talked to told me he uses 17 micron oil filters on all the
Harley's because 17 is smaller than 5. So I won't be using him for sure.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I want to switch to an Indy, as it inconvenient for me to go to the Harley dealers, and I seem to get some inexperienced tech half the time, anyway. I am hesitant because all the Indy's use Drag Specialty filters. They are made in Taiwan.

Anybody know if they are any good? I also like the way my bike runs on Mobil 1 Vtwin 20-50, but both Indy's recommend Drag Specialties oil. I changed the oil to the Mobil1, when the DS oil had 2,500 miles on it. I can see why people work on their own bikes and do whatever they want.

The last Indy I talked to told me he uses 17 micron oil filters on all the
Harley's because 17 is smaller than 5. So I won't be using him for sure.
He could be correct. If 5mic is the "Nominal" rating and 17 were the "Absolute" rating then the 17 would be best,, hands down !!

Thing is, 17 mic absolute seems a stretch. Best I've found so far is 22mic Absolute. They usually run between 25 and 35 and all are better than the 5 mic "Nominally" rated filters.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 PM
RickRock
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This reusable Hi Flo filter looks like its the ticket in the long run. I'd ask if there were dis-satisfied users, but I wouldn't get any response, if everyone was happy. So if you would like to say how happy you are, and how long you have been happy, I would appreciate your input, thank you. Anybody had to buy a replacement filter (at $90 a whack) yet?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Your happy is not someone else's happy. I'm only gonna be happy if there are riders who jam the crap out of their engines with these filters, and don't need any rebuild in 150K.
I think longevity is key, although the playing field is nearly impossible to level. I could see where flower sniffers could get 100k WITHOUT a filter, yet the inverse could also be true.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Your happy is not someone else's happy. I'm only gonna be happy if there are riders who jam the crap out of their engines with these filters, and don't need any rebuild in 150K.
I think longevity is key, although the playing field is nearly impossible to level. I could see where flower sniffers could get 100k WITHOUT a filter, yet the inverse could also be true.

Yep, thats a real good point. To construct a meaningful statistic on this would require data collection on virtually every re-usable filter currently in use for a very long period of time. Given the payday damage to the companies able to fund such a thing its not likely to happen till one of them decides to market re-usables. Meanwhile, Filter Manufacturers are free to make increasingly aggressive claims about the same old unchanged product be it 25 micron, 10 micron, or 5 micron by changing nothing but the rating methods. All we can do for now is attempt to learn something of the technical process behind the ratings, then pay our money and take our chances if we think its worth it to procure the benefits of better filtering. As with all things, the Law of Diminishing Returns is operative so what the degree of added benefit is worth to you remains a personal thing.

I agree the "flower sniffers" are only doing what they always do; spend their money (better yet yours ) chasing an ideological theory. I'd be reluctant to lump them in with the guys who check things out. The motives are entirely different.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I whipped up an oil pressure gauge I can install between the oil pump output and the feed line to the engine pretty easy.
I will be able to check pressure drop between filters.
If a filter is too restrictive the pressure should go apeshit !

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Yep, thats a real good point. To construct a meaningful statistic on this would require data collection on virtually every re-usable filter currently in use for a very long period of time.
I agree the "flower sniffers" are only doing what they always do; spend their money (better yet yours ) chasing an ideological theory. I'd be reluctant to lump them in with the guys who check things out. The motives are entirely different.
Please be clear that when I refer to the term 'flower sniffers', I'm not talking about some who just swallow Moco or advertised coolaid, but I mean the putt-putters who never see redline, WOT, or even ever scrape a board. (also called "Leaf Gawkers" in the fall).
I ride mine like a crotch rocket and have it set up to do so, as my crew also.
Flower sniffers are the people we **** off as we pass so many of them, with our Amsoil, Mobil or whatnot filters. Not sure I wanna trust my mill to a screen.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Please be clear that when I refer to the term 'flower sniffers', I'm not talking about some who just swallow Moco or advertised coolaid, but I mean the putt-putters who never see redline, WOT, or even ever scrape a board. (also called "Leaf Gawkers" in the fall).
I ride mine like a crotch rocket and have it set up to do so, as my crew also.
Flower sniffers are the people we **** off as we pass so many of them, with our Amsoil, Mobil or whatnot filters. Not sure I wanna trust my mill to a screen.
Oops, "my bad". I did miss your point. Re-usables marketers do, after all, cater to the Green crowd; an unfortunate Red Herring IMHO. I thought thats what you meant. A preference for tangled polyester or paper over steel is up to the individual. Who cares, as long as it works ? .

Old 09-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Buzz363
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love a good oil related thread. Interesting how the MOCO dicatates their brand of filter for their warranty. The Big Three (Ford, GM, Dodge) always 'Suggested" their brand but never dictated. They may have changed, I haven't bought a new vehicle in a few years.

I've always followed severe service guidelines for all my motors regardless of application. Always used good quality filters and synthetic oil as well. I think that anyone who gets fired up over this topic is probably as **** as me when it comes to service and it probably wouldn't matter what oil/filter is used as the motor is being so well maintained.

Back to the topic: " Fram filters?? Are you mad???"

Old 09-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Yup. Erl iz cheeper den parts!

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use