Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Erbie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverine8
I used the HD filter because of availability but next time will be the K&N with the removal/install bolt.
The best thing about the K&N filter, don't know how much better it is for filtering, I don't THINK it is that much better or worse than the Harley filter or any other filter, but that hex on the end of it for placement and removal gets my recommendation.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Erbie
The best thing about the K&N filter, don't know how much better it is for filtering, I don't THINK it is that much better or worse than the Harley filter or any other filter, but that hex on the end of it for placement and removal gets my recommendation.
Its made by Hiflofiltro and they throw the nutt on the end, put it in a fancy box and charge $10.00 extra. Our filters are too easy to get to that a nut on the end is not even needed. So I buy 3 Hiflofiltro filters for the price of one K&N, same exact filter on the inside, and it is better than the HD filter. It has over twice the surface area of filter media as the OEM filter and is 22-25 microns. The Hiflofiltro is also cheaper than the OEM filter.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:49 PM
evotwin57
Stage III

help somebody must have this answer.I have a 1995 road king the motor has been rebuilt. i recent ly last 2 oil changes due to availibility used a fram 6022could this be the wwwrrronnng oil filter i now have an oil light on at idle and max cold oil pressure of 25psi. the filter was bought at advance auto parts but they list the same filter for a 1982 that aint right is it

Old 06-19-2014, 09:13 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I would NEVER put a FRAM on ANYTHING.
Can't say if it's wrong model, but I have my oil pressure boosted, idling at 50 at startup, about 70 at rpm, then 20 and 50 when warm. The pressure won't hurt your motor, but stock pressures have destroyed many Frams, from what I've seen on the net.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
Its made by Hiflofiltro and they throw the nutt on the end, put it in a fancy box and charge $10.00 extra. Our filters are too easy to get to that a nut on the end is not even needed. So I buy 3 Hiflofiltro filters for the price of one K&N, same exact filter on the inside, and it is better than the HD filter. It has over twice the surface area of filter media as the OEM filter and is 22-25 microns. The Hiflofiltro is also cheaper than the OEM filter.
Have never heard of Hiflofiltro. That being said, why would a filter company have a filter made by another company? The Harley filter, well Harley is not a filter company it is a motorcycle corporation, same with GM, Ford, Honda, Kawasaki and so on. But K&N having a filter made by another company and just having their name put on it? Besides my STSB is a bitch to change, my TC was bad but looks like they took up some of the free space when they made this one. I'll keep my K&N filter with the hex on the front of it.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Erbie
Tourer

Dusty Bones:: one other thing the Hiflofiltro is not even listed on the filter poll results?

Old 06-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Erbie
Dusty Bones:: one other thing the Hiflofiltro is not even listed on the filter poll results?
Looks like Hiflofiltro has upgraded their filters and streamlined production to put the nut on their brand in their boxes now too.

Same filter, different name.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/

Maybe my next Hiflo filtro will have a nut, I still have a good stock of them without it for now though.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I ran some HiFlo filters until one I cut open had a big patch of rust inside. They're made in Vietnam and I figure their storage may have moisture problems, but don't quote me on that. Local dirt bike shop sells them.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I ran some HiFlo filters until one I cut open had a big patch of rust inside. They're made in Vietnam and I figure their storage may have moisture problems, but don't quote me on that. Local dirt bike shop sells them.
The HF170 (Hiflofiltro and KN170) is made in Thailand. FWIW the main reason I changed was the Harley dealer sold me a filter that had rust around the threads and would not exchange it for me. So I went down the road to the Ducati dealer that services every brand of bike. Learned later after researching a bit it has 103 square inches more filter media area, more than twice that of the OEM filter and it is the same micron rating. At the low psi Harleys work at it is doing what the name says High flowing. Also learned it is the filter K&N uses and rebadges and charges a lot more for. Oh, and it is cheaper than the OEM filter, double win.

I have learned through buying many oil filters, all brands will at some point have a rusty one make it to your garage. Best bet I have found is buy the fast movers and the chance of rust is lower. When I lived in Fayetteville NC the Purolator filters were $1.93 just last year. If I did not like the HIflofiltro so much I would use a Purolator on the bike too, best filter I ever used on any car or truck

One thing I do like about the Hiflofiltro filters is the ends are shrink wraped and oiled very well on the inside now, so rust is almost impossible to build up on them now.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Well, I'm glad to hear that, because the top rated Amsoil filter is way expensive. I tried to find the Purolator for my bike, but it was discontinued.
If bucks are tight, i'll probably go back to the HiFlo, thanks to you.
The element is probably 10feet stretched out, same as the old Purolator. The Harley element is a joke!

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use