Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 08:16 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
I have a FLO which is the same thing It's TIT'S
And you came to this conclusion from reading ______?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:17 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
And you came to this conclusion from reading ______?

Probably one of the many great articles to be found here:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nomin...XRpoGQCA&gbv=2

Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

So what's the absolute rating on that screen?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBlackFly
Interesting that H-D are the overwhelming choice. Why? Can't be cost. What else, availability?
Gift cards,gotta get something so...

Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Also been reading "The Motor Oil Bible", a somewhat dated explanatory for laymen. The author explains a typical rating method this way: I'm paraphrasing.

An oil solution containing a known quantity of 5 micron particles is cycled through the filter multiple (??) times. When the quantity of 5 micron particles is reduced by 50%, the filter is given a "Nominal" rating of 5 microns. Larger particles which may be present, say 25-40 microns, aren't part of the test so aren't measured and yes, they do get through.

An "Absolute" test typically involves a single pass of a contaminated solution and when 98.7% of particles of a particular size (say 25 microns) don't get through, the filter is rated at 25 microns "Absolute".

So, before expounding on the virtue of your 5 micron paper filter, you might want to consider this. "You don't actually have one". The truth of the matter is that the truth of the matter is not that difficult to determine (google). You don't need a degree in Chemical Engineering. If you believe you have a $15.00 paper filter that eliminates oil contamination down to 5 microns, its for no other reason than you want to believe it.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Still waiting to see what that screen does as filtration.
For now, I'll be rockin' the Amsoil EAOM134 with Valvoline dino 20/50. I've done some studies too.
As for why most run HD filters, that should be obvious. Same reason they run slippery Dunlop tires and were putting 3- hole oil in their bikes: kool-aid.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Gift cards,gotta get something so...
Picked up a couple of filters yesterday, one for my bike plus one for my daughter's ride (she "lets" me work on hers, too) - better than buying more t-shirts <G>

Old 06-04-2014, 02:03 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Still waiting to see what that screen does as filtration.
For now, I'll be rockin' the Amsoil EAOM134 with Valvoline dino 20/50. I've done some studies too.
As for why most run HD filters, that should be obvious. Same reason they run slippery Dunlop tires and were putting 3- hole oil in their bikes: kool-aid.
Dunno about that screen, but the ones I've (easily) looked up post "Absolute" ratings of 22 to 35 Microns. They also contain from 1 to 3 magnets capable of capturing ferrous particles down to any size. The point is, a Micron rating in Absolute terms is something tangible. Such filters filter out 98.7% of particles of their rating size; "easy". A Nominal rating of 5 microns ?? They may as well rate it at 5 molecules or 5 inches for all the rating means.

To give you an idea how easy "Absolute" ratings make it for the filter buying customer, I'll post this quote I just caught by googling:

AMSOIL EaŽ Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K) have one of the best efficiency ratings in the automotive market providing a filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 20 microns.

Yep, you have one of the best there is and didn't even know its rating. Now you do. My filter is made by PurPower and has an "Absolute" rating of 22 microns. Now we have something in common bro. We both know what our filters are good for. The 5 Micron Nominal guys have no effing idea !!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Dunno about that screen, but the ones I've (easily) looked up post "Absolute" ratings of 22 to 35 Microns. They also contain from 1 to 3 magnets capable of capturing ferrous particles down to any size. The point is, a Micron rating in Absolute terms is something tangible. Such filters filter out 98.7% of particles of their rating size; "easy". A Nominal rating of 5 microns ?? They may as well rate it at 5 molecules or 5 inches for all the rating means.

To give you an idea how easy "Absolute" ratings make it for the filter buying customer, I'll post this quote I just caught by googling:

AMSOIL EaŽ Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K) have one of the best efficiency ratings in the automotive market providing a filtering efficiency of 98.7 percent at 20 microns.

Yep, you have one of the best there is and didn't even know its rating. Now you do. My filter is made by PurPower and has an "Absolute" rating of 22 microns. Now we have something in common bro. We both know what our filters are good for. The 5 Micron Nominal guys have no effing idea !!
Okay, you brought me up to speed: the screen units may have some merit after all, being an absolute rating, almost as good or as good as ours. I'd find that to be a worthy purchase over a time period, not to mention I'd probably CLEAN the dang thing once a week...

Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 PM
wolverine8
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the HD filter because of availability but next time will be the K&N with the removal/install bolt.

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use