Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.
View Poll Results: A poll
Harley filter
55.42%
K&N Filter
22.71%
Amsoil filter
7.44%
Wix filter
5.14%
Fram filter
3.87%
Napa filter
1.10%
Revtech filter
0.66%
Purolator filter
1.54%
Hastings filter
0.08%
Mobil filter
2.03%
Voters: 3641. You may not vote on this poll

What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use

ORIGINAL: peppi

Why not use the filter that was specked and built for the motor instead of something that fits and may work just because you can buy it for 3$ less?
As much as i have tried to ignore this comment, sorry but i can't. So what your saying is when i go to change my oil and filter in my Dodge truck i should go to a Dodge dealer and get the oil and filter there because it's specked for my motor? Surely you jest. If you think a Harley oil filter is the best oil filter for your bike then so be it. I'm not going to put one on my bike when i can put a far superior filter on it, and it does work, no maybe about it. I have no idea how much a HD filter costs and i never will. Next you'll be saying we should only put HD oil in our bike that is contracted out to some oil Co that submitted the lowest bid to HD. You do what you want i could care less, but i'll continue to spin them Purolator filters on and dump in the Amsoil for the BEST protection for my bike.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amsoil

Old 12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Ever so often, my local dealer has a "special sales day" for thier customers. On this day you got a 15% discount. This is when I have purchased my oils/filters and whatever else I was needing. The last time, I purchased an chrome HD filter and it cost $12.99 (after the discount). Add 3 qrts of oil, primary and gear lube and you just dropped $50 I will never go back and I have this site to thank! I can buy better oil cheaper and now know what filters fit my engine. Its not so much the cost as the way the dealer act as of they are doing you a favor gouging you with their over priced items. Again, Thanks for the info concerning cross ref. oil filters.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Which K&N filter part number is it for the Electra Glide (I supposemost ofthese H-D motors are using the same filter but not sure)? Is there a good online source to get the K&N for a good price? I do like the chrome and most of all I like the hex nut on the end of it.

The following users liked this post:
Minibee5 (07-09-2022)
Old 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arizona

Which K&N filter part number is it for the Electra Glide (I suppose most of these H-D motors are using the same filter but not sure)? Is there a good online source to get the K&N for a good price? I do like the chrome and most of all I like the hex nut on the end of it.
The # I use for my 07 Deuce is KN-171C.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
mcFLSTC02
3rd Gear

Thank you to everyone that has posted. After reading this post along with the oil posts I will no longer waste my hard earned money on HD Syn 3 and HD filters.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:41 PM
FLHTS
Intermediate

Where would I find the list of part #s for different manufacturers? The manual says something about 5 micron filters. Are the other companys the same?

Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 PM
oley55
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan1724 posted a link to a very informative link. in whichsomeone has doneindependent analysis of filter mediums and construction which I found to be very informative. I was and remain particularly interested in Amsoil filters. for a little history, I have been using Amsoil products for quite a while in outboards,diesel, and gasoline four stroke engines. In the diesel world, there is a plethora of websites and information about filtration media from full flow to bypass filter systems that go into extended (actually never) changing the oil. (A15+ quart oil change can get expensive real fast!) Although I never bought into the the super extended oil change intervals and associated oil analysis tests, I have read enough to convince me the folks who manufacture Amsoil filters meet or easily exceed anything Harley or anyone else offers as MOCO filters. If you dig deep enough I think you will find Amsoil filters are manufactured by either WIX or Hastings (can't remember which). It is important to note, H-D, Ford, Dodge, Honda, or whoever does not have their own separate and extra special factory just sitting theirproducing filters for them. Rather they sub out to whomever meets their minimum requirements at the lowest price today. Can you say, "out sourcing?"

I run synthetics in everything I own and change at the same intervals recommended for dyno oils. Clearly overkill on my part, but it makes me feel good.

I do know I'd rather spend the extra money from a known and quality oil/oil filter manufacture than whomever thevehicle manufacturer is currently getting the best deal from this week.

I don't have a clue if I'm paying amore or less for my products from Amsoil, but I do know that's their business and am very confident in their products. I would not have the same level of confidence in an Amsoil Motorcycle as I do inan H-D motorcycle. Let's let vehicle manufactures build their vehicles and rely on oil/filter manufacturesto produce theirown specialty.

I'm not an Amsoil distributor or otherwise. But somehow or another they have been producing synthetic oils long before Mobile could even spell Mobile 1 (prior to 1968). I have confidence the filters they produce or more accurately market meet or exceed anything the MOCO's require.

I say buy quality filters from a quality filter company, andbuy a quality MC's from a quality MC company.

The following users liked this post:
Amazing Red Kitty (05-04-2019)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley

Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
steeljag
Stage IV

Just to add to this post, Wal-mart now sells Fram Oil Filters for Harley and Metric bikes. I have'nt used them "yet", but I might in the future!

This might be old news to some, but I just saw them last week in a central florida store, never even thought to look there!

Wal-mart is taking over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Steeljag
2003 Road King

Quick Reply: What Brand Oil Filter Do You Use